Chapter Twenty-Four

Let It Burn-Chapter Twenty-Four

Phil held Dan in his arms as Dan fought to keep his starlit eyes open. Dan rested in the comfort of Phil's warm embrace. Phil glanced at the doctors "I'm sorry about him. He gets really vexed about losing control in a situation. He's not normally like this but-" Phil closed his mouth turning the rambling off. The doctors nodded "we can-" Phil shook his head "no, Dan is okay" he nodded his head to reassure himself and the doctors. "But-" Phil held up a finger "you don't want to see Dan irritated do you?" Phil asked quietly "no Mr. Lester but we-" Phil now glared at the doctors "right, we'll uh leave" the doctors scrambled to their feet and left. Phil sat down on the bed next to Dan. Dan lazily set his head on Phil. "I'm sorry for any of the times I yelled at you. It wasn't my intention and I meant for no reason to hurt you the way I feel I did. The reason I wanted to get out of the sun is because I didn't want to feel panicked being on a rooftop. By the time we got inside and I kissed you it felt so nice to feel loved. But as the kiss furthered my throat started to close up and I got anxious. Phil that didn't feel like me who pushed you away. I wanted so badly to continue kissing you but I got stopped." Phil nodded linking his hand in Dan's bonier one. "Was it the voice in your head? The one that's not your own?" Phil asked his face contempt as Dan nodded "yeah I'm shackled down by my own thoughts having to be held prisoner of the thoughts that are truest." 

Phil bit his lip trying to think "need to talk about it?" Phil asked, feeling unsure "I don't want you pitying me Phil." Dan scooted away from the blue eyed boy. "Okay," Phil looked around thinking "I can call PJ or Sophie and you can talk to them?" Phil let the question hang in the air. "Can you call Sophie please?" Dan asked, his voice groggy. Phil nodded dialing up her number. "Hey Phil, what's up?" Sophie asked her voice cheerily as usual. "Dan wanted me to call you so you guys could talk." Sophie nodded "sure" Phil handed his phone to Dan. "Hello Sophie" Dan spoke kindly "Dan, how are you?" Sophie asked, making Dan laugh. "I'm in the hospital sadly," Sophie gasped, "Dan, what happened?" She asked making Dan twitch "n-nothing" he closed his mouth. "Okay, is it you know-" Dan snapped again "of course it's the voices Sophie it usually is! They weigh down my every thought and make me suffer through their ice cold pain." Sophie let the air cool before she spoke again "Dan, what do they say? Will they let me in?" Dan sighed "Sophie that's not-" Dan seethed in pain as his head felt heavy. His eyes became blurry. He felt like he was being suffocated. "Alright Dan, breathe as much as you can." Sophie took a sharp inhale listening to Dan let out a hoarse one. "Good now out" he let out a shuttered breath "they told me they are staying with me. They told me they were my only friend and to trust no one else" Dan spoke like he was in some sort of trance. Sophie bit her nails "Dan, do not listen to them okay. Phil loves you so very much. I love talking to you and PJ enjoys you staying here." Dan looked off into the distance "how do I know what's real and what isn't? Please answer me, Sophie." Dan felt his eyes water as he pulled away from Phil. "I don't want this anymore! I don't want to feel silenced by my own intrusive thoughts. I want it all gone!" Dan began to pull at his hair. Phil got up from the cloud white bed and stood behind Dan removing the younger boy's hand from his brown fringe. "Stop" Dan spun around to be met with Phil's stoic face. "How are you never mad Lester?" Dan grew louder in tone. "What's there to be mad about Dan?" Phil asked, his voice remaining normal. "Don't call me that, my name is Daniel!" Dan thrashed wildly under Phil's ghost of a hold. Phil nodded "okay Daniel, why are you mad?" Dan turned the opposite way of Phil. "You make me mad," Dan spat venomously. "With your optimism and stupid giggle. I hate it, every single thing about you is boring. Boring Phil!" Dan shouted, causing more chaos. Phil nodded "yeah you're right I'm boring" he agreed laughing. Phil watched Dan's eyes flicker rapidly. "Daniel, you okay?" Dan stopped twitching his eyes "what's it to you?" He rolled his eyes. "Look we may be close but can you tell me what's wrong?" Phil asked lightly. Dan stood centimetres from Phil he cocked his head "why so you can drive me away to an asylum? So they can try to extract the unacceptable out of me" Dan's eyes grew darker as he rolled them. "I'm no idiot Phil, you want to pretend to help me and then send me away when I act out" Dan accused, pointing his finger in Phil's face. Phil nodded as the words sunk in. "What do you want Daniel?" Phil asked, staring into his dark eyes. Dan sighed rudely "for you to treat me my age? I'm in my twenties. I'm not five!" Dan screeched making Phil smile "okay, what would you like to do?" Phil asked still centimetres from Dan. Dan's eyes lightened again and he fell to his knees letting out loud cries. "Dan?" Phil asked crouching to the floor somewhat keeping his distance. "Why can't this stop!" Dan screamed curling into himself "I told Phil I hated him you stupid voice! Just leave!" Dan cried as he curled into the fetal position.