Chapter 22: Let's Never Do That Again

 I thought it couldn't get worse, which proved how I underestimated how cruel life could be, how it could relentlessly hurt you, like a knife slicing flesh over and all over again when all the defense you have is your hands and cries

I look now at people whom I trusted so completely, so foolishly.

"You knew?"

Nat, Ben, Aiden and Jacob eyes lowered to the floor, their shoulders sagged.

"Why wouldn't you tell me? You know I wouldn't stand in the way of their happiness!"

"Ris, we didn't know there was something, we just saw them kiss at the party you didn't go to." Nat said, her eyes apologetic.

"It still hurts, I feel like I was some kind of joke all this time. God I really can't look at you all right now." I hate that my voice breaks again, I hate how the anger I always rely on to make me feel strong is absent, leaving my chest hollow.

"Ris you just didn't want to hurt you." Ben reaches his hand towards my shoulder. I step back.

"Looks like you managed to do it anyways." I eyes burn, and I blink several times. I refuse to cry in the school hallways. "Honestly, fuck you guys."

I had enough of their guilty expressions, I had enough of feeling so worthless, I had enough of the lies, I had enough of this fucking school all together.

So I take a step back, then another, then turn and run to my car like my life depended on it. Several cars pulled up to the parking lot, which indicated the bell was about to ring.

I needed to be at home, in my room, in my bed right now.

The trek back home could only be described as blurry images, and a distant shout of insults that I suspect were directed my way by a cab driver.

When I stepped into the house, I heard.

"Ris is that you? Don't tell me you forgot something, I-" she stops abruptly, her eyes scanned my face and softened. "What's wrong?" she says, her voice soft, like she was afraid I might shatter if she spoke louder.