Chapter 37: Adieu

The admission letters came as expected

The admission letters came as expected. I worked hard and it finally paid off. My family was so happy, my parents so proud. I was glad for the timing, given that they had a huge fight a few days before due to my boyfriend's imprudence.

But sitting now by my window late at night, I cried.

All of this felt like the biggest betrayal to the little girl that always wanted to be a writer or an artist, that wanted to be free and live off the expression of her emotions.

I looked at the wall that consisted of years and years of drawings and sketches, I looked at my countless notebooks that contained my stories ideas and my writing notes, I remembered when I first created my blog, three years ago on that same desk. I was so sure it was going to be famous and some publishing company would notice me and save me from the inevitable reality. I would become a famous writer and my parents wouldn't be able to force me to study finance or business to take over my father's company.

I smiled a bit, remembering how naive but hopeful I was.

I was dreaming of changing the words with my words, of changing lives and inspiring people.

Little did I know that I was in a bubble that grew each day, where I could see the outside world with the sheer colors of a rainbow, bright and hopeful. The bubble became big enough that I started considering it might be enough, until the sharp venomous needle of reality burst it open, leaving me unsure of everything.

The only thing I wanted to do was to be in the tree-house, safely enveloped in Asher's arms. But even that was impossible. We didn't exchange a single word after I kicked him out.

I was still thinking about how this was all going to end, but right now as I sobbed into my hands, I didn't care about university or my parents or how complicated everything was, a selfish part of me was begging me to agree to him sacrificing his future for me.

My phone, vibrated on my lap and I wiped my tears, happy for the distraction.

(New message) Asher: "I got into UCLA and NYC...and GWU."