Chapter 23: Confrontation

"But her books are amazing, nobody can pull off a 7 books series unless they're amazing!" I was sitting with Ash in his living room, defending my favorite fantasy writer to my last breath

"But her books are amazing, nobody can pull off a 7 books series unless they're amazing!" I was sitting with Ash in his living room, defending my favorite fantasy writer to my last breath. Dramatic, but I was trying hard to make him read my favorite book series.

"Ris, no amount of talking will convince me to read a book that has the line 'sliding into her silk heat'." He scoffs.

"You read that on the review on my blog, and I said I hated it too, but come on you can't judge the book on one sentence!" I grabbed his forearm, shaking him. "Please!"

"Is it just one sentence through?" He arches an eyebrow.

"Okay maybe the sex scenes are a little weird for a guy, but you can skip them." When I see my efforts were fruitless, I release him and cross my arms on my chest. "Okay I'll stop trying to enlighten you and save you from the 80 years old spirit inhabiting your body that makes you read Voltaire and Dostoevsky."

"I'm surprised you caught my favorite writers." He smiles. I feel heat rising to my cheeks. Of course I knew, I actually paid attention.

"Oh I just named the ones with freak names, turns out they're your favorite. I don't know what that says about you buddy." I bump his shoulder with mine. He throws his head back and laugh, exposing his throat.

I was looking at it for so long you'd think I'm a vampire salivating over his jugular veins. How can a throat be attractive? Did I have a throat fetish?

"What are you thinking about?" He asks, his eyes looking between my eyes like he was trying to convey my thoughts.

"Vampires and throat fetishes?" I answer without thinking. That was the effect this guy had on me, he made me say exactly what's on my mind, and I wasn't self conscious about it at all. He freed me of all the restrictions I set on myself daily in an attempt to fit in.

I mean imagine if I told someone I was thinking about vampires and throat fetishes, they'd offer to drive me to a psychiatric hospital.

He laughs deeply again, his eyes shimmering, and I couldn't help but feel like I've won a prize.