Chapter 25: How right this feels

My stomach hurt, Ash's distorted face became blurry and tears rolled down my cheeks

My stomach hurt, Ash's distorted face became blurry and tears rolled down my cheeks. My hand came to my mouth trying to muffle my laughter.

It was 2 in the morning and we couldn't stop laughing. 

We couldn't help it, one minute we were pouring our hearts out, the other we looked at each other's red puffy eyes and started laughing.

It was...liberating.

"Oh my god, your girlfriend dumped you by text right before Thanksgiving dinner." I choked out. I didn't know if it was the situation or the lack of sleep but it was the most hilarious thing at the moment.

"Your best friend is dating your crush behind your back." He says before exploding in laughter again.

"We're so pathetic." I breathed out, wiping the tears on my face as I tried calming down.

He laughed again, and I couldn't help but feel content that he seemed much happier.

Earlier, he looked broken, as he recounted how Evangeline has been ignoring his calls for a week, then sent him a short text message where she simply said she's not coming and that it's better they take "a break" from their relationship at the moment. She promised more details after.

I personally thought she had her reason, because our brief encounter I saw how greatly she cared about Asher. But the way she did it? Trashy.

An unforgivable part of me was glad we're spending these days without any disturbance. I hated that part of me.

Silence filled the treehouse as we both calmed down. A gust of wind came through the window, it felt like bliss on my hot face. Leaves rustled, and the darkness of the night beyond felt peaceful instead of scary. 

I didn't remember the exact moment I fell asleep, lulled by the soothing atmosphere, but I'll always remember the exact moment I woke up, curled up against the boy next to me, my arms around him and my cheek pressed to his side. The window let on the weak light of early morning.

The only thing that indicated it wasn't a stupid dream was the painful kink on my neck. I almost ignored it to continue feeling the peace I felt enveloped in Ash's body heat. I could stay right there forever.