Chapter 26: Irises VS Daisies

 Within each group of friends, there are groups of friends

Within each group of friends, there are groups of friends. So there are friends whom you text all the time, no formalities needed, and there are friends whom texting with is kind of awkward so you rarely do it.

Hudson was definitely within the last category.

So receiving a text from him, with no context, at 11 PM has been very unusual.

"Meet at coffee shop at 10 tomorrow, need to talk to u, urgent." was all it said.

Perplexed, I have sent several replies trying to know what's going on, but he haven't responded to any.

So I have convinced myself that there was some trouble between him and Hannah given how fragile their relationship was, and that maybe he needed my advice.

But as I was sitting in the empty coffee shop the next day, it wasn't Hudson that came through the door at 10 AM. It was Sapphire.

Then it clicked. I stood up to leave, feeling very stupid.

"Ris, please, I'll just say what I came here to say, then the choice is yours to leave." She said, from the door.

I sat up, because as much as I was hurt, her pleading eyes always worked on me.

When she approaches, her eyes scanned my face.

"You look... happy, glowing." She said surprised.

Her words sent an inexplicable jolt through my body. I reached for the pain and anger inside me to prove her wrong, but couldn't grasp anything. It was like trying to touch a cloud. It looks solid in my mind but was nothing more than water vapor.

Because the truth was, I was happy. Since that night at the tree house even the panic that something is developing between me and Ash couldn't fully dampen my mood. We spent all our days together -to our mothers' delight- reading, goofing around, playing with my siblings -which resulted in a sore hip- or just being together in the same room. The feeling of having him, of being near was the first to ever vanquish the anger, it made me feel untouchable without hurting me.