Chapter 28: The harsh reality

I've been high on happiness all week

I've been high on happiness all week. And Asher's lips...

I've been on a soft cloud, dressed in my favorite dress, drinking a martini and throwing happiness sparkles all over NYC. Or at least that's what if felt like.

See, I wasn't one to believe that soulmates are a real thing, but even I know that you eventually find a person whom you connect with in a superior level, someone that feels right. I was beginning to think that Asher was that person to me. He needed only a week to make me feel like the luckiest girl.

That's why the descent from my little cloud was brutal, and my little bubble of contentment was quickly popped by the huge fight my parents were having.

I mean they usually scream at each other to communicate but this, this was bad. This reminded me of times I preferred not to think about. Times that almost broke my family apart.

I exit my little sister's room where my three younger siblings were new sleeping huddled in her purple covers. I already sent a tired Heather to her room.

I sigh, finally having the time to reply to Ash's text.

"Treehouse? x" 

'Treehouse' began as our code to meet to talk or read, now it's our code to meet there to makeout. The thought almost made me smile.

"Can't, family emergency." I reply, my energy not high enough to type a longer text.

"Do you wanna talk about it later?"

"No." I reply, then put my phone back in my pocket. There was no way I would talk to him about my family problems.

The muffled sobs I hear from my parents room make my heart clench. I knocked softly.

"Mom?" I say against the wood.

"Leave me alone! All of you!" She cries at the other end and I flinch, not preparing for the words to hurt as much as they did.

It may sound insensitive but I was used to my mother crying, she was overly sensitive. She cries if she sees a homeless man, she cries if one of my siblings gets hurt, she cries if my dad is too busy. But she always had a tissue in her pocket or apron to wipe them quickly. Now hearing hearing her sob like this, not attempting to hide her hurt made me want to shelter her from the world.