Chapter 32 - Anna Grey, medical student

It was already dark when I woke up. I had no idea what time it was, but I seemed to hear some noise downstairs. After arranging my outfit, I went down the stairs. Mrs. Brown greeted me with a big smile.

"Ah there you are, I didn't want to disturb you after your long journey. You missed mealtime, but I can still serve you a little something."

I didn't have time to say a word that she had already disappeared in her kitchen. I nodded to the people in the foyer before sitting down at the dining room table. This solitude suited me perfectly, I could not have been a good companion for discussion that evening. The owner came back, putting a plate of stew in front of me. I couldn't help but laugh. Even thousands of miles away, Pearson and his food were chasing me. She questioned me with a look.

"Excuse me, it's just that from where I come from, we often ate stew and it had become a subject of fun. Thank you for everything. Are you really sure I don't owe you anything?

- No, everything is covered by your scholarship. Don't worry, I often have students, it always happens like that. Your only costs will be your study books, and any personal costs. While I think about it, I received a letter for you, it's probably for your supplies, I'll go get it."

I thanked her and began to eat. I couldn't suppress a new smile. This stew was delicious, far from the soaked soles served by Pearson. Nostalgia overwhelmed me. A few months ago, I would have been around a fire, surrounded by friendly faces, singing, and listening to stories from the wild west. I finished my meal, my mind wandering in my memories.

---

The next morning, I started looking for the objects inscribed on the letter received at the pension. Mrs. Brown indicated me a bookstore and stationery shop where I could find everything. It was my first contact with the city. That day the autumn sun was shining, giving it a special aura. I had to get back into the habit of meeting lots of people, lots of strangers. But Chicago seemed interesting enough for me to like it. My studies would probably take a lot of my time anyway.

I entered a shop that seemed to have been there forever. Countless books were piled up on its wooden shelves. I've never seen such a place. At Valentine we ordered our books from the general store and received them weeks later. I had no idea that places like this could exist.

The seller approached me. I handed him my list. He frowned, asking me if I was shopping for my brother. He seemed surprised that a woman wanted to buy chemistry and math books.

I shrugged before so much prejudice. I knew the road would be long. It wasn't until I got the books in my hands that I realized I was going to study medicine, become a doctor. It all happened so quickly, after the violence of the previous months, I had to face my forced departure from Canada. I hadn't even had time to process this new information. Doctor. A great excitement filled me, and I decided to buy letter paper. When I got back to the pension, I immediately started writing.

"Chicago, September 21, 1899

 Charles, 

I realize that in the rush of my departure, I did not take the time to thank you. Arthur and you are giving me new life here. Today, I bought books for my lessons, I am a little scared by the level that I need to acquire. But I am determined to do my best to become a good doctor. I will honor the memory of Arthur. And who knows, maybe someday I will find a cure for his illness.

Thanks for everything Charles. I wish you the best.

Take care of yourself.

Anna."

----

The big day had finally arrived. My first day as a student. Mrs. Brown served me a hearty breakfast, uttering words of encouragement. Then I took the streetcar to the University of Chicago. Two days before, one of the other residents of the pension had guided me to show me my new place of study.

Although I was not in unfamiliar territory, I had gone well ahead of time for fear of making a mistake and arriving late. I quickly recognized the brick walls visited a few days earlier. The university was new, it had been open only since 1892. But from the start, women had been allowed to study there. Many young people crossed paths, chatting in the shade of the trees, and seemed happy to study there. The campus seemed huge to me, like a city within a city.

In front of the building that was going to welcome me for the coming year, I suddenly got scared. Did I really belong there? Hadn't Charles oversold me in his letter to get me in? What if they discovered who we really were?

I wanted to run away, but remembering my promise, I gave myself courage and entered the building. I owed it to Arthur, to Charles. I sat in the room, watching my classmates slowly come in. To my relief, I was not the only woman. Of the 150 people present that day, 12 were women.

Right on time, a man in his sixties appeared before us. He was the director of studies. After welcoming us, he presented the course of study that we were going to follow. The first two years would be devoted to general studies: biology, mathematics ... Then, if we had sufficient grades, we would access the first two years of medicine at the University of Chicago. Finally, the 3rd and 4th year of medicine would be followed at Rush Medical College, with practice in hospitals in the city.

I realized how long and difficult the road would be. If I worked seriously, it would take me six years to become a doctor. I was both terrified and excited at the prospect. I left there more motivated than ever. I hurried back to the pension to describe this first day in a long letter to Charles. I didn't know if he would read it, but I didn't care. I needed to share my excitement with someone.

I was not longer Anna Grey, rancher daughter;

I was not longer Anna Grey, Outlaw;

I was Anna Grey, medical student.

-----

Here it is. I did a LOT of research on medical studies in Chicago, I even watched a 45-minute lecture on the place of women at Rush Medical College. I learned a lot of interesting things and I'm really happy to incorporate them into this story. Everything I write is real: the training took place in 4 years, and you had to do 2 years of college to be able to access it. I could not find what subjects were to be studied in college, so I improvised with what seemed to me most likely, otherwise everything else is in line with reality!