Chapter 38 - Wedding

"Chicago, September 6th, 1903

Dear Charles,

Preparations for the wedding of Flora and Philip are going well. I feel like we're talking only about this. Don't worry, I continue to work hard on my lessons, and Marc helps us study between two decisions. High society weddings are an endless puzzle. I don't know much about it, so I just give my support.

The other day we went through the guest list. I think my jaw dropped when I saw the length of it. There were more people on it than in all of Valentine County. I don't know if we will find a church large enough to hold all these people.

I don't like that you are in Saint-Denis. This city has never brought anything but misfortune. But I guess you had no choice. Please pay attention to yourself. I don't want anything to happen to you. I tremble at the thought of someone recognizing you.

Fondly,

Anna."

---

I did not see this third year of medicine go by, it was so full. Every moment that was not dedicated to our studies was for this famous marriage. Invitations, flowers, cake, there were so many details to settle. The four of us did it together, Marc and I being best man and maid of honor.

The highlight of these preparations was undoubtedly the fitting of the wedding dress. It was tailor-made by the best seamstress in town, and we were all excited to finally see it on Flora.

Lace, pearls, gold thread, no sign of wealth had been forgotten on this sumptuous dress. My friend was radiant and laughed happily when she saw herself dressed. She was used to wearing beautiful dresses, but no doubt that it would remain the dress of her life. After long minutes of delight, she turned to me with a big smile.

"Your turn now!

- My ... My turn?

- You're my maid of honor, you can't think I'm going to let you wear an old dress!"

Without being able to reply, the seamstress drew me firmly into a fitting room. There, I saw that a dress had already been made for me. In a very pale pink, the outfit suited me perfectly. Simple, yet elegant enough for a wedding of this magnitude. I was moved to see so much attention from my friend.

Her kindness didn't stop there. As was apparently the custom, the bride gave me a gift the day before the wedding. I opened the little case she had handed me with a big smile. Inside, a thin silver ring, engraved and set with a small emerald. I looked at her, tears in my eyes. It was incredibly beautiful.

She hugged me, then we laughed. What a year we had just lived. It was a miracle that we managed to pass our exam without a hitch, as our minds were devoted to this marriage. And finally, the big day arrived.

-----

This day passed as in a dream. Arriving in a carriage, I then descended the flowered aisle of the church on the arm of Marc. Then it was the bride's turn to come in, under the delighted comments of the guests. When she got by her future husband, I took care of fixing her train, before lifting her veil. We exchanged a knowing wink. She was finally going to marry the man she loved.

The reception took place at the groom's family's house in a large estate overlooking Lake Michigan. After hours of chatting to strangers, I slipped away to watch the sunset over the water. Marc finally joined me, and I smiled at him.

"I needed a little calm. I'm not really used to this kind of event.

- I understand. You know, even when we grew up in there, it can get heavy at times.