Chapitre 40 - Year Six, Year Seven

I eventually find my way back to my normal life in Chicago. My friends were worried of course, I hadn't given any signs of life for a whole week. But I finally convinced them that everything was fine, that I had just been disturbed thinking about my sister. Soon nothing more was said about this episode.

Marc still decided to surprise me to cheer me up. As luck would have it, La Traviata was featured on the Chicago opera program that fall. When he told me the good news, I let out a cry of joy. Now he was making one of my oldest dreams come true.

Flora led me to the tailor, declaring that in her entire wardrobe, nothing was right for a married woman. She couldn't decently show off in her girlish clothes. I laughed softly as I heard her speech, light years away from most people's concerns. Of course, she wouldn't let me leave without buying me a dress.

So, one evening in October, Marc came to pick us up. For the occasion, Flora had my hair done by her maid. We were seated in prime places. Throughout the evening, I kept my eyes fixed on this spectacle seen by my mother many years before me. When the final came, I cried all the tears in my body. The lovers had finally found each other, but too late, she had to die.

Leaving the room, Flora and Marc gently laughed at me. They were used to it all, and although they felt emotion in front of such masterpieces, their social condition had long taught them not to show it off. Philip, the calmest of all, handed me a glass of champagne so that I could recover from my emotions.

When I got back to the boarding house, I had only one desire: to write to Charles and tell him everything. The music, the costumes. But of course, that was impossible. I then took out a blank notebook from my desk. For the weeks and months that followed, I used this notebook to write to Charles. I couldn't send him letters anymore, but I could still confide in him. It gave me the illusion of maintaining a connection with him.

---

Christmas and its snow arrived very quickly. One evening when I came home, bundled up in many layers to face the blizzard, I found a small package on my bed. Puzzled, I went downstairs to question Mrs. Brown. She replied that it had been dropped off in the afternoon for me, but she had no idea who was sending it. There was no word, no sign.

I went up to open it. Gently undoing the ribbon, my breath hitched when I saw what was inside. A thin gold medallion, without a photo inside. It looked exactly like the one inherited from my mother, which I had lost a few months before. This disappearance had upset me very much, I cherished this object more than anything in the world.

Suddenly I remembered. In my last letter to Charles, I told him about it. Was it him? Was he taking the risk of sending me a Christmas present? He knew how much I cared about this locket, and how much it hurt me to lose it. I was convinced now, he was the one offering it to me. Why remain anonymous otherwise?

I immediately put it around my neck, regretting not having a photo to insert. My heart filled with joy, I began to study. Only six months of hard work left, and I would be a doctor.

---

A few days later, a big reception was given at Flora's for Christmas. Her first big event given since her wedding. As soon as he arrived, Marc accosted me with a big smile.

"So, did you receive it?

- What are you talking about?

- The medallion. After I sent it, I realized that the note had stuck with me."

My blood froze. The package came from him. Not from Charles. The emotion took me by the throat. To hide my confusion, I took out the jewel to show it to him.

"It is simple. I can get you a more polished one if you want, but I thought it looked a lot like your old one.

- It... It's perfect. Thank you.