Chapter2: Meet my wife

Kara's POV

"YOU DID WHAT!?"

I explained everything to Alex when I returned to the DEO and she didnt take it well. She paced in front of me, mumbling to herself.

"I panicked and it was the first thing that came to mind. I dont know why I said it but I did. Will you please just help me get all of the documents I need?" I sigh.

"Oh, I know why you said it. You just have such horrible timing! Fine, I'll help you. I dont like this but I get why you need to do this. I'll have the marriage license and birth certificate in a few hours. While I work on that I would start preparing your apartment for her arrival. Her apartment is most likely gone so you will have to come up with something" Alex says.

I nod my head before taking off to my apartment. As I looked around I noticed that it seemed untouched. Meaning, there were still pictures of Lena and I hanging on the wall. I smiled at them and went to the bedroom. My closet still had a few of Lena's things and I thanked Rao that we could share clothes. I added a toothbrush to the cup beside the bathroom sink and went back to the living room.

I sat on my couch with a sigh trying to think of other ways to make it look like two people lived here. I took out my wallet and pulled out the photo I kept in it. Lena was smiling and had her face half buried in my neck. I was laughing with my eyes and nose scrunched up from the tickling I had felt. It was my favorite picture and I knew that this would be the one I would show her.

Some time had passed and Alex finally called me that the documents were ready. I quickly went to get them and went back to the hospital. I made my way back to her room and knocked. The door was opened and she turned my way at the sound.

"Hey, I brought our license. I also brought a few pictures to see if it will jog your memory" I say sheepishly.

I made my way into the room and handed her the papers. I watched her study them for a few minutes while I took the photo from my wallet. I lightly ran my thumb over it, smiling again, before handing it to her. I sat down in the chair next to her bed and she took the photo.

There were multiple emotions swirling behind those emerald eyes. I could just see a faint smile on her face and she gave me the picture back. She nodded her head and looked me in the eyes.

"Let's go home" she whispered. I sighed in relief and went to grab a nurse to help us discharge her.

I helped her walk and it felt soothing to finally have her back beside me. I escorted her to my apartment and we walked up the stairs. She had been silent there entire car ride here and I had no idea what to say.

I unlocked the front door and allowed her to enter first. I watched as she looked around with curious eyes. I set my keys down on the counter and shoved my hands into my pants pockets. She continued to look around and saw the pictures hanging on the wall. Her hand gently traced one and I smiled.

"The bedroom is over here. There's two bathrooms too if you need to use them at all" I smile. Lena watches me for a few moments before she nods and enters the bedroom.

I follow her to put my jacket away and see her go into the bathroom. I sit down on the end of my- our bed and close my eyes. I try to calm myself and the only thing I can think of is listening to her heartbeat.

I tune into the steady beat and let out the breath I was holding. I was so focused that I didnt realize that she had come out of the bathroom. I felt a soft touch on my cheeks and opened my eyes. I saw Lena looking down at me as if memorizing what I looked like. It broke my heart that this happened to her and I gently placed my hands over hers.

I closed my eyes again and gave a small smile.

"I missed you" I whispered. I could feel her thumbs caressing my face and I felt a stinging in my eyes.

I hadn't meant to say it out loud but it was true. I had missed her a great deal.

"I wish I could remember" she whispers back.

I open my eyes and lean forward to rest my forehead on her stomach. I could feel her run her fingers through my hair and I hated how much I loved it. She is my best friend but right now she thinks we're married. I have to keep this up until Alex and I find who did this.

Lena's POV

I was changing into the pajamas that my wife had told me were mine and tried to process everything. I was married to a woman, my name was Lena, and I am apparently a stay at home wife? It was frustrating that I cant even remember if that is even such a thing. I looked into he mirror of the bathroom.

I recognized nothing. The green eyes, black hair, or pale complexion. Did I ever go outside? I look as if I literally staying inside our apartment all the time. Shaking my head I reentered our bedroom to see her standing with a blanket.

I noticed that she fidgeted often when she was nervous and fiddled with her glasses. I'm apparently very observant.

"I didnt want to overwhelm you or make you uncomfortable on your first day back. I'll be on the couch in the livingroom if you need anything, ok?" She says quietly.

I was beginning to learn why I had fallen in love with this woman. I was touched by her gesture but shook my head.

"I want us to continue our normal routines as usual. I'm hoping that doing so will trigger a memory of mine to come up" I say.

I see my wife's blue eyes go wide and she nods nervously. I look at the bed and hit my first obstacle.

"Which side of the bed did I usually sleep on?" I ask.

"I-Well, usually you would sleep on the right side. You would say that you always slept on the right side because you were never wrong" Kara smiles.

I nod my head and smile back as I go to my side. We get under the covers and she turns off the light. Kara keeps to her side of the bed and I feel an odd pang of unease. As if my body had a mind of it's own, I scoot closer to her and turn to face her.

"Did we sleep this far apart?" I ask.

"No. I just wanted to respect your boundaries. I know you dont remember me and this must be really weird for you" she responds. Again I'm touched and reach a hand out to caress her arm.

"Like I said Kara, I want this to be as normal as possible so that I could remember something" I say.

"Ok." I feel her shift around and her arm wraps around me. Her chin sets above my head and I'm tucked into the crook of her neck. My leg instinctively probes through hers and intertwines them.

I may not remember who this woman is but being in her arms felt safe. I liked this and I hoped that I would start to remember things soon. I brought my hand up to circle her waist and she shivered. Feeling proud of myself, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.