➵To Kill a Mocking Girl

Avery trudged along the woods, with Emily leading the way

Avery trudged along the woods, with Emily leading the way. Emily seemed overly excited about whatever it was that they were doing, and Avery didn't have the heart to complain.

Hanna grumbled, "Whose idea was this, again?"

"Emily's mom."

Emily cut in, obviously feeling proud of her idea, "The shed was me. My mom just said we should do something for us."

"Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?", complained Hanna, swatting her hand infront of her face.

"They're not mosquitoes", Aria corrected,"they're gnats." Wow, since when did Aria become an entomologist?

"Whatever! They're small and annoying, and they're flying up my nose."

"Well, they're attracted to your perfume", Avery teased, "And your hair product. And your lip gloss."

"So, what are you saying, I attract flies?"

"Gnats." I'm officially changing Arias name to 'gnat'.

"Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?", speculated Emily.

"No, this is it. I remember that tree", stated a confident Spencer,"It's the halfway point. There's 136 steps left to the shed."

"Gosh, I knew you were smart, but this?", Avery complimented, in awe of how smart her friend was.

"Have you been out here since Alison?",Emily probed

"Me? No. No way."

"But you remember that tree."

"You guys, it's not that weird", interjected Hanna, "I mean, we came out here in eighth grade like, every day,even after."

Spencer grumbled, "I think this is totally the wrong place to do this; whatever you call it,shrine?"

"It's not a shrine. It's just a place to remember Alison. What's wrong with that?", Emily asked unsurely.

Spencer sighed,"Doing it way out here makes it look like we have something to hide."

"You're worried what other people think?"

"Well, aren't you? Do you really want to give that creepy Detective more reasons to question us?"

"Hanna, why are you so quiet? You're allowed to have an opinion on this", Emily insisted, upon noticing Hanna being unusually quiet.

"I'm trying to keep the bugs in my nose and out of my mouth", Hanna retorted,"You want my opinion? I say we hold off and not remember her 'til we know for sure she's not still here."

"What?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You think she's still alive?"