➵ Moments Later

An unconcious Hanna, was lifted onto a stretcher and placed in the ambulance

An unconcious Hanna, was lifted onto a stretcher and placed in the ambulance. From the corner of her eye, Avery noticed a shocked Mona and numerous other people curiously staring at the debacle. Her eyes suddenly met with familiar blue eyes, but only for a fraction of a second, leaving her wondering if it was really Ashton. 

The girls followed the ambulance Hanna was in, worry stricken. More than anything, Avery felt guilty. It was because she was in the way that Hanna had to push her away. It should have been her in Hanna's place. Currently, the girls were anxiously waiting for an update on Hanna. Avery bite her lip in worry. While the other girls were busy informing their parents about their whereabouts, Avery sat looking down at her hands, praying vehemently that Hanna was going to be all right. She wasn't particularly religious, but at that point she was desperate.

 She looked up to find Mrs.Marin walking into the waiting room, "Is she okay, Mrs. Marin?"

"She is going to be all right", Ashley sighed, "She, um, She has a broken leg and a broken ankle, bruised ribs and, uh, they might have to remove her spleen."

"I'm sorry", Avery hugged the older woman, "It should have been me in her place."

"It's alright, Avery", Ashley said stroking the brunettes hair, "What happened?"

Aria answered ,"Hanna was coming across the parking lot and this car just came out of nowhere."

"Well, the police found the car. They said it was stolen."

"Did they catch the driver?", Emily enquired.

 "No, not yet." 

"Cops should be looking for Toby Cavanaugh", Spencer said matter-of-factly.

"It wasn't Toby Cavanaugh", Mrs.Marin shook her head, "The police picked him up."

"What?", the girls looked at each other in confusion.

 "One of the officers told me they found him hiding in town and they were bringing him in when they got the call about Hanna", Mrs.Marin glanced at her watch, "You girls should go home. I will call you when Hanna can have visitors."

"Just let Hanna know that we were here", Aria requested.

"I will, when she wakes up." Mrs.Marin headed back. Once, she was out of earshot, the girls exchanged looks.

"See. Toby isn't A", Avery huffed.

"Well, Hanna knows who is", Spencer reminded, "That's why A tried to kill her."

"Think they're just trying to scare us?", Emily stammered.

"Well, it worked", Aria shrugged.

"This was never about scaring us, that was just a bonus", Avery shook her head , staring at the ceiling.

"And this started with murder we were crazy to think it wouldn't end up like this.", Spencer rolled her eyes.

"So should we tell the cops?"