Thirty Nine

Sonia's POV- September 2019

"You should be receiving a phone call from the OBGYN's office to schedule an appointment in the next couple of days"

There was another knock on the door,

"Sonia, I know you're in there"

She said something else, but I heard nothing as I stood up and made my way to the door.

"Do you have any questions?"

"No" I answered.

"Have a good day"

"Bye" I mumbled as I unlocked the door.

I pulled the door open and came face to face with Alex.

"Can we talk?"

I gestured for him to come inside, and closed the door when he stepped inside.

"Have a seat" I told him.

As he took a seat, I grabbed two waterbottles from the kitchen and then made my way over to him.

"Here you go" I said.

"Thanks"

I took a seat across from him on the other couch.

"I'm sorry"

I reached for my sandwich and took a bite of it.

"I won't relocate until September of next year" I mumbled.

He sat up,

"We can make it work"

His eyes darted to my collarbone before he looked at me in the eye.

"Everyone tells me how way out my league you are, and after a while you start to believe these things. I'm sorry I assumed that something was going on with you and your boss. You work your ass off, and I am so sorry I thought you'd do something like have an affair with your boss. I know how much your career means to you and you'd never do something to affect it"

I nodded.

"I'm an idiot"

He said it,

"You're the only thing keeping me sane right now, Sonia. This injury is worse than they thought it'd be and hearing you say that you want to leave. I don't know, the thought of you leaving got to me"

"So you talk to me and tell me what's wrong. I can't read your mind, Alex" I said.

"I know, I'm sorry"

"Stop apologizing" I told him.

His eyes glassed up,

"I can't lose you, Sonia"

"I could have handled that differently" I admitted.

He patted his thighs before pulling shifting to pull something from his pocket.

"This is yours"

I looked at the necklace he was holding and reached over to take it. He sniffled and twisted his hands while gripping onto them.

"I have to tell you something" I brought up.

"Anything"

I bit my lip as I looked at him.

"I'm pregnant" I revealed.

His eyes widened and he stared at me for a couple of seconds before rubbing both hands on his face,

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"I got blood work done this morning, they called to tell me I'm about 6 weeks" I answered.