50

Averys POV
two weeks later
3am

Mattias been sitting on the couch all day bouncing his leg up and down. I can tell he's nervous, but I feel like he's overthinking. He called the team and let them know he's gonna be joining. But it was a little too late. The two spots that were supposed to be his and Kairis, was now just one.

They spent one week training with Kairi and another week with Mattia. So now, they're just waiting on the calls.

"Want anything to eat?" I asked as I crept by again. He quickly shook his head not taking his eyes off of the phone.

"This must be hard for you. I can't imagine going for the same spot as my best friend and only one of you can have it." I rubbed his back for a couple seconds then got up to leave.

"Yeah, like..I don't want to take this opportunity away from Kairi but it's also my career. We both deserve it." He sighed. "I wish it wasn't this way."

I gave him a smile before walking out. I honestly didn't know what to say to him but it doesn't really matter. He would be stressed either way, so I just left. I didn't have a destination in mind. I was thinking to just drive around.

"Wait!" I heard being yelled from inside. Taylor ran and opened the door. "Take me to the airport." She said catching her breath.

"Why?"

We both walked to my car and I turned it on. I let it run for a couple minutes before driving off.

"We have to pick up Kairi."

"He's here?" I was shocked. I didn't even know he was coming, he didn't tell me anything.

"Yeah? We've been talking about it all week. We're going to disney on Sunday. Don't you remember? Stella booked the whole park for us." I have no recollection of anything of this.

I made my way to the airport and I think for the first time ever since I moved here, there was no traffic so I got there quick.

As I slowly crept up, I saw him standing outside with a suitcase and his book bag. He didn't look too happy so I know something must've happened.

"Baby you're here!" He moaned in a high pitched voice while I walked over to help him with his bags. Everyone turned their heads in our direction and I could hear Kairis laughter.

We got settled in and I had to get moving because the cars behind us were beeping and yelling at me to move.

"That flight is always so painful. My fat juicy ass can't take sitting down for such a long time." He wiped a fake tear away.

"Shut up Kairi."

I looked in the mirror above me and noticed he did look a little sad again. I'm obviously gonna ask him about it but I can't in front of Taylor, he might get shy and plus he doesn't like it when I do that.

"So what are we doing tonight? Getting drunk?" He asked. I quickly shook my head no.

"Kai last time I got drunk I broke up with Mattia and trashed my own room." They laughed at me but I have to admit that it actually is a little funny.

"I just wanna sleep. It's three in the fucking morning. I've had a long and sad day." He sighed. I guess now would be a great time to ask him since he brought it up.

"What happened?" Taylor beat me to asking him.

"I'll tell you when I'm inside and settled." I pulled into my driveway and we got everything inside. When I opened the door I expected to see Mattia on the couch but he wasn't there. He must be in the room.

Kairi went straight to his room and I went to mine. I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I just wanted to throw myself on my bed.

"Where did you go?" I heard Mattias deep voice ask from behind. I turned around and he was in the closet doorframe.

"Picked up Kairi, why?" His face went blank and he didn't say anything. "Are you on the team or not?"

"I-" He opened his mouth.

"Avery!" Kairi yelled interrupting him. I went by the stairs and he waved me down. I heard Mattia sigh and close the door. I hope he's not mad.

"What?" I asked him.

"Sit. I wanna tell you why I was sad." He said. I nodded my head waiting for him to continue.

"The soccer team called me as I was waiting for you guys to get me and it turns out that I didn't get the spot. Like I always knew Mattia was a better player than me but I'm happy for him."

My heart sank for him. I felt bad because I know how much he also wanted it.

"I'm so sorry Kairi. Maybe another team will come around." I said trying to cheer him up.

I got up after a few minutes and went back up to my room.

"Now can we talk?" Mattia asked as soon as I got past the door. I nodded and stood in front of him.

"I got it." He smiled big. I jumped up on him and he spun us around. I kissed his face everywhere and congratulated him.

"I'm so happy for you!"  I grabbed his face and kept my lips on his for a couple seconds. He was happy, but at a cost.

I stood there watching how happy he was and talking about how he's gonna call his parents in the morning since it is about to be four am.

"God is good." He said while turning the lights off and jumping into bed. I scooted to his side of the bed and faced him. "And I have my queen right beside me." He kissed me.

I couldn't sleep though. My sleepiness went away from all the talking and driving I just did.

I felt when he was knocked out because his arm became heavier around my waist and he was snoring a little. I went back over to my side and laid on my back. I stared at the ceiling just creating scenarios in my mind to help me.

The moonlight beamed in my room making the perfect shadow on a small tree outside my window. As I was feeling my eyes getting heavy, I was startled by my phone getting a message. I sighed rolling over a little to see who could possibly be texting me this late.

"What the hell?" I sleepily said as my eyes adjusted to the brightness. The message was from an unsaved number and attached was a video.

+

this chapter been sitting in drafts for a couple days now 🤡 but sorry i took long to update. i've had a pretty eventful weekend shit was crazy

also it was very boring but just think of this chapter as a filler chapter