Chapter 22

Hyannis Port

Kennedy Compound

Jackie's car drew up the gravel path leading to the main house, swiftly followed by Bobby and Ethel's. On the plane, Jackie had put on her large shades and a black silk headscarf. Clint got out and helped Jackie and her children out of the car through the crowd of reporters. 

"Jackie! Jackie!" The reporters called out to the former First Lady. 

Jackie took her children's hands and she sprinted with them towards their house. When they got past the fence to secure their privacy. Jackie took Clint's hand. "Oh God" she sighed, exhausted. She wasn't used to being rushed while pregnant. 

Jackie stopped to catch her breath. "Mummy? Are you okay?" Caroline asked. They all gathered around her. "Oh I'm fine. It's just the plane journey and all of the running. And being pushed around by those photographers" Jackie panted. 

She took Clint's hand and let her children run on ahead. 

"Jackie are you sure you'll be okay?" Clint asked. She nodded as they walked to her and Jack's house. "I just need to lie down for a bit. I was thinking of getting Brambletyde back. It's more private and Jack and I have happy memories there" Jackie frowned. Memories came flooding back to her.

It was hard to believe that in several days it would be the first birthday she had ever spent without him for a long time.