Chapter 12

December 24th

1007 W Braddock Road

"Mummy, when will Father Christmas come?" John asked, as Jackie tucked him into bed. Jackie kissed him before smiling. "Remember, what I told you John. He won't come until you're asleep" Jackie reminded him. John giggled before settling into bed. Jackie gave him a final kiss before clicking off the light and heading downstairs. 

She found Clint in the living room. "Hey Clint" Jackie yawned as she sat down in the armchair. "Hey Jackie. Is John asleep?" Clint asked with a smile. Jackie nodded. 

She sighed before her mood took a turn. "This time last year, Jack was here" she frowned, filling up with tears. "And we..." she hesitated. 

Clint remained silent. He knew what Jackie was going through and he wanted to comfort her. "And we, were expecting Patrick" Jackie quietly sobbed. 

Clint got out of his seat and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her head. "It's okay" he whispered. Jackie broke away. "No. No it's not okay" Jackie cried. 

"This baby will never meet their father. And I'll never forgive myself for that!" Jackie cried standing up. Clint was shocked. 

"Jackie? Why should you forgive yourself? It wasn't your fault" Clint told her. Jackie sniffed before dissolving into more tears. Jackie nodded before embracing Clint and he kissed her cheek. "Oh Clint I'm so sorry" Jackie sobbed. 

They embraced before a flash came flooding through the gap in the curtains. Jackie double blinked before Clint looked out the window. "It was a photographer" Clint told Jackie. She stamped her foot. 

"Damn them!" She huffed before Clint closed the curtains. "We need to move somewhere. I always wanted to stay here in Washington, as I feel like Jack is here but I can't!" Jackie cried. Clint understood. 

"As long as you're safe and happy" Clint assured her. Jackie nodded before they embraced once again. Jackie then heard Clint whisper:

"Merry Christmas Jackie". 

Jackie gasped quietly before she replied: "Merry Christmas Clint".