Chapter 28

July 1st

Brambletyde

After a renovation, the house on Squaw Island was ready for Jackie. She only made small changes, not wanting to 'lose' the memories she had from the previous summer. As the car pulled up, Jackie took Caroline's hand and followed Clint and John up the steps to the house. 

"Mummy?" Jackie heard Caroline whisper. Jackie stopped walking and bent down to talk to her daughter. "What is it Caroline?" Jackie asked. 

"Mummy, didn't we stay here last summer?" Caroline asked. Jackie nodded. "It's a new home for us" Jackie smiled. Caroline gingerly smiled. 

"Mummy, can we go on a walk later? On the beach?" Caroline asked. Jackie agreed. "Of course we can".

After unpacking in the house, Jackie and Caroline set off on a walk along the beach. Both of them in a summer dress, they walked along hand in hand staring out onto the bay on Cape Cod. 

"Mummy? Are we staying here until your birthday?" Caroline asked. Jackie shook her head. "No. We're staying until the 7th, and then we're going back to New York. I'm also looking for a place to rent for several days in Boston, as I plan on having the baby there" she explained to her daughter. 

Caroline looked up to her grinning. "Like daddy?".

Jackie giggled. "Just like daddy".