𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐡

Thirteenth
:Chapter Thirteen:

     Taehyung stood at first, headgear on and glove ready.

The opposing team was batting first while the Panthers all got in their position.

And Jeongguk. He wore a baseball cap, mitt on his left hand, baseball in his right. The audience watched the new pitcher with awe and wonder, Newbie still not being well known around the school so be had questioning eyes on his figure.

The Raiders sent out their first batter — most likely the pitcher or/and captain of their team. He was a very appealing looking boy, dark brown hair and a skinny figure but fit. He had a bright blue bat, a white handle and looked as if he played for awhile.

The real question, however, was if he were a match for Jeongguk who always had a burning passion for baseball.

The batter swung a few times to loosen his arm, stepping up to the plate. He got down in a stance, left foot still and arms pulled back with the bat over his right shoulder. His eyes were locked, ready to start the game up.

Jeongguk tossed the ball into his glove, eyes glued on the batter. Newbie was warming himself up, this being the first game he played at his new school. He pulled in a deep breath before he then gripped the ball and whipped it at the batter. It was between his torso and chest, right in the perfect square.

The batter closely watched the baseball as he flew towards him but he didn't even swing at the said ball. It was so quick and the batter's heart was caught in his throat, forcing him to choke at the plate.

"Strike one!" Called out the umpire, making a signal in the air for the players to see.

The pitcher tongued his cheek cockily, looking over his shoulder back at first base where he saw the aforementioned standing.

His face shown nothing but a smug look. It was enough to make Taehyung's blood boil right there and then. Newbie smirked then winked at the first basemen.

With that, Jeongguk turned back and repeated the process; tossing the ball in his glove before he made the ball speed. The batter swung this time was his swing was very late and he missed it entirely.

"Strike two!" The umpire shouted once more, the start of the game looking bad for the Raiders.

It wasn't dead silent but quiet enough for both teams to be equally concentrated.

The batter stepped out of the box, rolling his head back on his shoulders. He was clearly getting annoyed with his performance and it showed.

He rolled his wrists and shook off his nerves, going back to the plate. He sucked in a deep breath, positioning himself with the bat back over his shoulder.

Jeongguk didn't spare a glance back at Taehyung this time, keeping his eyes on the batter. He watched his every move, thin lips pinched together in a taut line.

He got the ball back from the catcher, doing his thing and then he pitched it.

Unlike the other times, the batter hit it up. Jeongguk snapped his head up and watched it as it flew over his head, going to the outfielders.

Unfortunately, it fell to the ground, making the batter who now ran onto first base safe. Hoseok dashed regardless, speeding over and sliding to pick up the baseball.

He did a crow hop to get the ball further. Hoseok threw it to Taehyung but he ended up throwing it over Taehyung's head.

With that, Taehyung had to leave his base, trying to chase the ball as it rolled.