𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐝

Twenty-Third
:Chapter Twenty-Three:

     "What the hell did you say to Jeongguk?" The next day came sooner than later and apparently not only was Newbie a jerk, he was also a snitch.

"What ever must you be talking about, Seok?" Taehyung decided to play this one off, digging through his locker for his Korean literature notebook.

Hoseok huffed. "What did you say to Jeongguk? He was pissed when I went by later on yesterday, after I told you to see him."

"Oh, yeah." Taehyung hummed vaguely.

"Yeah what?" Asked the older of the two.

"I just mentioned that he was going to be sat out for the rest of the season. No biggie." The captain shrugged lamely, pulling out his yellow notebook and slipping it into his book bag. Lockers were pointless.

There was a moment of silence, Hoseok trying to process what Taehyung said. "You rubbed it in his face? The thing Jeongguk thought you were trying to do the very first time?"

"I didn't rub-"

"Yes you did. You rubbed it in his face that you're going to be the pitcher and Jeongguk can't do nothing but watch from the sidelines." Hoseok cut him off, not believing the childish behavior.

"Well, did he tell you how rude he was being to me? Maybe if he didn't call me a little bitch and insult me so much, I wouldn't have said it. He should think before he speaks." Taehyung was so sick of everything being turned on him. It was as if whatever happened, it always ended up being his fault. "He's wrong too, ya know."

"I do know that and Jeongguk told me on how it was back and forth but he also said it wasn't as . . . What's the word? Harsh?" He stumbled over his words but shook it off. "He said it wasn't as rude as it usually is."

"That's because he's hurt and with all the trauma, his comebacks have been weaker than usual. He's just trying to paint me out to be the bad guy." Taehyung told honestly, slinging his bag over his shoulder and closing up his locker. "He's manipulative too I suppose."

"Now you're just being dramatic." Hoseok sighed, walking with Taehyung as they began heading to their next class together.

"No, not really, he's making it seem like he didn't do shit back. If he can talk the talk with a coma, he better walk the walk too." Taehyung claimed with a shrug, not thinking he did much wrong.

"Whatever, Taehyung." Hoseok decided that would be the end of that conversation. "Ready for the game? You better have your pitch in order because I'm not trying to lose."

"Don't worry, Seok. You don't put enough faith in me." Taehyung rolled his eyes.

"You never give me enough reason to put any faith in you." And with that comment, Hoseok received a nudge to his side, both boys sharing a good laugh together, one that was truly missed.

***

As prepared as Taehyung thought he was, he was definitely nervous. He hasn't once played the pitcher position and was covering for their starter who undeniably was a hell of a pitcher.

They had to win this game. They currently qualified for the championship and if Taehyung lost it for them, it was a lot slimmer of a chance to get in; harder for them.

They had a win-to-loss record of nine to two. That meant that the team had won nine of the eleven games they played. Not all of those games were documented in the story but for obvious reason that it would just take too long.