𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐡

Thirty-Fifth
:Chapter Thirty-Five:

     "Uh, Coach, I was wondering—"

Coach looked back at the raven-haired teenager, a cocked brow.

Jeongguk had spent another day at practice but today was different. He participated and practiced a bit with them; only a bit but he was taking steps to his recovery.

     "So, since I'm better and my concussion is all cleared up, I just wanted to know if I could pitch for our team again. I really missed it." Jeongguk spoke, sitting in the chair in front of Coach's desk.

The old man set his pen down and focused his attention on Jeongguk, not yet answering the boy just yet. He hummed, thinking for a moment; thinking of an answer he could provide for the younger.

     "No," he answered vaguely, picking his pen back up and returning to his notes.

Jeongguk was confused, taken aback by the answer given to him. "I'm sorry, no? Why not? I'm a great pitcher." He said, almost trying to convince his Coach.

"Because I said so, Jeongguk, now get out." Coach dismissed, not looking back up to see Jeongguk's startled look.

"Can you— like, I don't know, elaborate?" The teenager inquired, feeling a pain in his chest. He didn't understand, unsure on why he couldn't play his position. He was so good and much better than Taehyung. No way Coach was going to sit there and let the other stay at pitcher rather than put in his best player.

The old man huffed. "Jeongguk, you're great at it and yes, you deserve it, but Taehyung got us this far. He's been practicing day and night. I think he should remain as the starting pitcher." He explained. "At least for now. You'll back up for him if something happens."

Jeongguk frowned, trying to comprehend the told words to him. It didn't make sense. He was the best on the team and had to stay and warm the bench instead.

He didn't deserve to be sat out all because Coach pitted Cap.

     "Is there anything else I can help you with?" Coach asked, looking annoyed that he was being bothered.

"That's so bullshit, Coach, you know that. I mean, I don't mean to brag but I'm the best on this team. I can hit far, I can pitch good, I don't see why you would keep me on the bench." Jeongguk argued, brows pulled in. He sat up. "You just feel bad for him, admit that."

"First off, boy, I don't have to admit anything. If I pitted him, I would've made him the pitcher awhile back. I'm playing my cards smart and I'm keeping him as the pitcher. If you have an issue with such, you can always take your leave and pitch elsewhere." Said the man, his annoyance only rising. He didn't want to argue with a child about why he kept things this way.

"Whatever," Jeongguk pushed to his feet, shaking his head. This was completely unfair and left him with his blood boiling.

     He left the office and found his way outside, feeling the spring breeze coat his features but it didn't seem to make him relax.

He kicked a nearby trash can, a loud groan escaping his mouth. He was furious, not pleased with the outcome he got from coming all the way up here on an early morning.

Jeongguk wanted to scream at the sky but he didn't want others to look at him with skeptical looks, bombarding him with, 'are you okay's and whatnot.

He just couldn't believe that someone like Kim was going to steal his position right from under him. It was unbelievable.

***

Taehyung held the plastic bag in hand. The bag was full of sweet and savory treats, some drinks in there too. The sugary goodness calling his name, wanting to cover his cravings but not alone.