0̺͆1̺͆2̺͆

⚠︎︎Death and Trust⚠︎

⚠︎︎Death and Trust⚠︎︎

☠︎︎☠︎︎☠︎︎

"...Carried to its natural conclusion, though, the experiment yielded nothing of positive value. But listen to me rambling on! I'm sure you surmised all this from your training. They did cover this stuff, right?" (Hange)

"Yes. They did. Every last bit." (Eren)

You can't believe you got dragged into staying up all night just to hear things you already knew.

"Great! We can use that as a jumping off point for my own theories! Let us review, shall we?" (Hange)

Eren's head shoots up "Huh? Well, I--" (Eren)

"Consider how the titans sus--" (Hange)

The door slams open a frantic looking soldier running through "Section commander Hange, come quickly! The test subjects! They're dead! Both of them killed!"

You and Eren look at each other before standing up and running after Hange who was already rushing out the door.

It didn't take you all too long to get out of the castle and towards the titan carcasses, Hange crying out in agony at the sight before her. You and Eren, who both have your hoods pulled up, could only stare at the burning titan carcasses and a screaming and crying Hange. Next to the two of you were the conversing Levi squad.

"How did this--" Eren starts almost as if he's in a daze "How'd it happen?"

"Let it go." Both you and Eren turn to Levi "This is a matter for the military police."

"Uh. Yes, sir."

You can't help but think the small male familiar. There's just something about him that seems a little too familiar that you just can't help think you know. And then theirs that damn last name he and Mikasa share. Well one other too.

Your startled out of your thoughts as someone places a hand on your shoulder and leans in by both you and Eren's ears "What is it that you think you see?" You turn to see the man asking is none other than Commander Erwin. "Who do you think the real enemy is here?" Confusion is written on both you and Eren's faces unsure of what the Commander is getting at. Erwin closes his eyes as he exhales "Ignore me. Loaded question."

As Erwin backs up and let's the two of you you both stare as he walks back to Levi, the two of them walking away after.

"What the hell..." You breath

"...Was that?" Eren finishes

***

"Hey Eren, Y/N!" The two of you, who were feeding the horses, turn to Gunther "You know if anyone in your class is thinking about joining us?"

"Yeah, there're a few." Eren answers

"Or, at least, there were." You add on as you pat the head of a caramel colored mare as she feeds. "I can't really say for sure right now."

"Fall in!" Gunther commands as he and Eld place down their mugs and rush to where Levi is approaching, them both standing at attention as he rides in.

"Make ready, people! We're going on patrol."

"Yes sir!" (Gunther and Eld)

You and Eren, due to you having to place down the horses feed are a little later than the two and while Eren hurries to fall in line you're a little slower about it.

"Good morning Captain! Reporting for duty!" (Eren)

Levi trains his eyes on the two of you "Y/N, Eren. You will stay within ten meters of me at all times. The only reason you two are even roaming free right now is because I'm keeping an eye on you. Understood?"

"Yes, sir!" (Eren)

"Yes captain." (Y/N)

"Let's ride!"

***

After a little while of riding you all stopped to rest the horses and go over the plan.

"Our special ops squad will be positioned here, on standby. Behind the center rank." Gunther explains pointing out the positions on the map of the scouting formation Commander Erwin came up with.

"So we'll be pretty far back then." You hum furrowing your eyebrows, something wasn't right with that. If they wanted to test out Eren's titan ability like the first mission was supposed to, why put him in the most protected position?

"It's the safest position in the formation." Gunther points out "The supply wagons don't even get such fine treatment. Our goal this time is to simply leave, then come back." A small bead of sweat run's down your head, how does that keep me from getting my head sliced off? "Today's expedition will serve as a sort of test run. To see if we've got a shot at getting you all the way to Shiganshina." Gunther says looking directly at Eren.

Eren looks up from the map to Gunther "Understood. Either way, I still don't really know how to use my ability or if I can even control it."

"Eren. Y/N." You look up from the map and to Gunther unsure of why he would be calling you "Do you understand what the commander was asking you two about back then?"

FLASHBACK

"Who do you think the real enemy is here?" Erwin ask, blue eyes cold and face stern. His grip on you impossibly tight, you know for certain Commander Erwin is completely serious.

FLASHBACK END

You purse your lips as you think it over. Obviously Erwin didn't mean to dismiss it as just a loaded question, but what he actually meant it as... you have no idea.

Although you can't help but notice that everyone seems serious about what you and Eren's answer will be.

"What did he mean by that? What do you guys think?" Eren ask looking around the circle of scouts that had gathered around.

"Not a clue." (Eld)

"Like the commander said, ignore him 'cus it was a loaded question. But," You look up from the map and to Levi's back "If anyone knew the answer the commander was looking for it would only be the actual person the question was meant for, Commander Erwin, and a select few the commander told."

"Well, if I told you that I knew what he meant, I'd be lying to you. That said I--"

"It's entirely feasible that this operation has an alternate goal," Gunther doesn't even try to hide the fact that he just cut Oluo off as he rolls up the map of the scouting formation. "And yet the Commander has decided it's best to withhold it from the rank and file. If that's the case, leaving and coming back is all we need to concern ourselves with." Gunther stands up and turns to lock eyes with you "Have faith in the Commander." It seems you and Gunther both figured the commander was hiding something.

Silence washes over the small group as you think it over, even Eren staring at you in curiosity. Despite warming up to the cadets over time you were still a bit distant from them. Hell, Eren was still unsure of where you were from.

"Alright." You finally speak up "I will."

The edges of Gunther's lips twitch upwards in what you assume is a small smile before he speaks up "Today's training has concluded. Return to base."