Nine

Ashton's POV

I could tell Sophia had something on her mind, she seemed overly quiet. She really wasn't a loud person, but the silence from her radiated sadness and hatred. She completely avoided my gaze, and sat off to the side laying on a beach towel next to Luke. They were getting extremely friendly, which I did not like at all. Although whenever she fell asleep cuddled on my chest Luke was the one I had come get her. I should've been the one to take her there, and made sure she was okay seeing her family.

I wasn't really paying attention, but I notice Sophia get a kiss on the forhead from Luke, who starts to follow the other boys to the water. She stayed though, and I did too. I wonder if she liked Luke. It seemed like it. I knew he definitely liked her.

"You told Luke to take me to my mother's. Didn't you?" I hear Sophia's soft voice from several feet away. When I look at her face, she had an emotionless expression. She was looking out at the ocean, with her hands stretched behind her to support her small weight.

"Why do you assume that?" I coolly ask, following her gaze to see Luke and the boys standing at the edge of the water, talking to some fans I think. Sophia looks over at me, pushing her sunglasses up into her hair, revealing her fake brown eyes.

"Cut the shit Ash. Only you would know how even get to my house." She sounded the slightest bit irritated. Well excuse me.

"I wanted to do it on my own time Ashton. I nearly had a heart attack this morning." I thought she should thank me. Clearly it had went well, because I'm sure she would've voiced it if otherwise.

"Haven't you had enough time? Two years is a long time without the people you love." I point out, hearing her sharply intake a breath. She glared at me, before gritting her teeth.

"You would know wouldn't you?" Sophia spits, standing up to walk away. I shot up right after her, following closely behind as she made her way towards the boys. I didn't want to grab her arm, because last time I did that she got free. So when I caught up to her, I simply wound my arms around her tiny waist, and tossed her over my shoulder.

"WHAT THE HELL PUT ME DOWN ASHTON!" Sophia angrily screamed, pounding on my bare back with her small fists. It didn't hurt, so I knew she was going to trip shit. I started walking back to our spot on the beach, with her wriggling around like a psychopath.

"SOMEONE GET THIS CRAZY PERSON OFF OF ME! FUCK!" A few people turn to look at us, but don't understand what's happening because they make no move to help her.

Finally I sit her on her feet in front of me, so I can box her in if she tried to run again.

"Who the hell do you think you are?"

"What's going on in that pretty head of yours Sophia?" I gently tap my first finger against her forehead, and I see the pissed off expression drop off of her face at my touch.

"Nothing. I'm fine." She lies. I knew Sophia well enough to not buy that answer. She was giving me this look that said 'let it go Ashton' with her arms crossed over her chest.

"What have I done? I thought we understood one another? We used to tell each other everything." I sadly say, frowning at her. Her eyebrows shot into the air, like what I was asking had an obvious answer.

"Figure it the fuck out. And until you do, leave me alone." Sophia spits angrily, stamping towards the boys once more. I didn't chase her this time, because I was too busy being confused. It was a strange revelation really. Sophia and I used to fight all the time, because she has always been strong willed and uncompromising. But now, there was something empty behind her harsh words to me. Like she was tired. Exhausted with me. I don't understand what had happened. We were so in happy back then. Now I couldn't even talk to her. Then I realized what was going on. She hated me. The girl I had watched crumble and cry, laugh and joke for years upon end hated me.

Sophia truly hated me.

Sophia's POV

"What's this?" Calum asked, pulling a big blue shoe box out of my closet. He had driven me home, since Luke's mum wanted him to be home and I didn't really want to ride with fucking Ashton. So I let him come in to hang out for awhile. I just didn't want to be alone I guess. Josh was out with friends, and my mum was running errands.

"Can I look in it?" I shrugged, sitting cross legged on the carpet floor across from him. Calum excitedly opened the lid, his black hair dipping into his eyes. He starts shuffling things around inside the box, until he freezes, pulling out what appears to be a picture frame. I had no idea what the picture was, but evidently Cal did. His eyes were huge as he scanned his eyes over the picture. I quickly snatched it away from him, only for a look of horror to cross my face. It was Ashton and I, just after he had turned eighteen. It was just a few days before he had to leave for the Take Me Home tour for One Direction. We were kissing. He had his hair straight back then. I nearly died at how clearly happy we were. Ashton ruined that, too.

"You weren't supposed to see that." I nervously laugh, my hands tightly gripping the frame. "Please don't tell the others. I don't want to get myself in trouble for letting you see this."

"I already knew." Calum simply shrugs, taking the picture from me, and standing up. I do the same.

"What?" He sits up the picture frame of me and Ash that I laid face down, and puts the other one right next to it.

"Look, I know him Sophia. And I know that he cares about you. Ashton is a really smart guy, and he wouldn't waste his time on people he didn't truly care about. Don't tell me its not true." Calum is so relaxed, but I'm nearly in cardiac arrest.

"I-I.."

"I've seen the way Ash looks at you."