Five

Ashton's POV

"I can't wait to get back to Sydney." Calum sighs, settling directly across from me on the jet. It was equipped with two single seats, a two person couch, and a reclining single seat. Calum was stretched in the reclining chair, Mikey and Luke taking a single and that just left me and Sophia to the two person. Fantastic. She seemed as pissed as I am to be stuck together, as she plants herself as far away from me as possible.

"Hey Sophia, aren't your parents living in Sydney?" Michael pipes up, just as Calum and Luke both are sliding on headphones. I hope he keeps her occupied, because I don't want her starting shit with me.

Sophia glances up from a daze, biting down on her lip. That's a habit she probably learned from me. She never did it until a couple months after she and I-

"No." She curtly says, leaning her head back, and closing her eyes. Michael raises his eyebrows, but doesn't linger on the subject as he simply does the same. Great, now I'm by myself.

About four hours into the flight, everyone was asleep. Besides me. I was really on edge because I was nervous to see Lauren and Harry, afraid they were mad at me for leaving them. I was basically the man of the family, and I just up and left them.

I was actually kind of in the middle of a mental breakdown. I was crying. I never cry really, but I was bawling my damned eyes out because I was so damned nervous to see them. What if they hated me?

"Ashton?" I hear a soft voice say. With blurred eyes I look to my left to see Sophia, looking over at me curiosly. "Are you okay?" I mumbled something, wiping my tears off my face. We had seen one another cry multiple times, but I knew Sophia hated when I cried. She said it was the saddest thing she's ever seen.

"Why do you even care?" I harshly say, sniffing. She closes her eyes briefly, as if assessing what she was going to say, before dragging her hand through her dirty blonde waves. I'm glad she didn't change her hair, it was always so pretty.

"Ashton, it doesn't take a neurosurgeon to figure out something is wrong. You wanna tell me why you have the chance, or not?" Sophia was still a little bit snarky, but much nicer than normal. I didn't even know why or when Sophia and I started to hate one another. I haven't spoken to her in years until now.

She was looking at me expectantly with her dark brown orbs, although I loved the crystal blue, the brown made her look somewhat sweeter, and friendlier. I had told her everything at one point in my life, and now I was wary just to tell her about something simple.

"I don't bite, Ash."

"Well..I'm really scared to see my family..I mean, what if they're mad I went away?" I shyly admit, taking notice of how she called me Ash. Growing up with her, I called her Soph, or Sophia Grace. Grace was her middle name. She always called me Ash, even if we were arguing.

"I dont know, its stupid." I added the last bit because of the weird look she was giving me. It felt so strange to have a somewhat civil conversation with her.

"Its not stupid at all. In all honesty, I'm terrified to see my family too. My mother probably doesnt even want to see me, and my brother already hated me so." She scoots towards me a little, using her hands to hold herself up.

"She never approved of this. I haven't seen or spoken to her in a year and a half. I was too afraid."

"I remember the last time I saw you, you were with your mum, and you wore your hair straight instead of wavy back then. She was yelling at you for taking a Rock History class instead of Health, and you were totally flipping shit because you wanted it so bad so you and I could have at least one class together since you were so much smarter than me." My words just rushed out before I could stop them. I saw the hint of a faint smile as it spreads across her lips, revealing a cheeky grin.

"I can't believe you remember all that." Sophia nearly whispers. A significant blush was on her cheeks as she hugs her knees to her chest, cradling them.

"I wouldn't worry about it Ashton. They love you. Lauren and Harry understand. And I know your mum will." Ah, there's the Australian in Sophia. I guess she still couldn't say 'mom' like the Americans.

Sophia's POV

"What time is it?" Luke whines before Ashton got to say something back to me. I look over to see him ruffling his messed up coif. His smile was sleepy as his icy blue eyes looked at me.

"We should be there in about two hours." I tell him, eyeing Ashton, who has become dead silent. "Go back to sleep Hemmo."

"Hey! How did you know my nickname?"

"YouTube." I shyly admit, batting my eyelashes at the adorable blonde. He was so sweet and kind.

"Doing your home work I see." Luke tiredly says, scooting over in his single seat. "Come lay here with me. I'm cold." I hear Ashton sharply inhake his breath as I jokingly groan, moving to fulfill his plea.

"So needy." I mumble to Luke, cuddling right up next to him while he wrapped his long and muscular arms around me. It was literally cold as fuck. I could see that even Cal and Mikey were huddled together in a single seat. What dorks.

"Fuck you both." Is the last thing I remember hearing before I drifted off into a sleep. And every part of me knew, it was Ashton who said it.