Chapter 28

Chapter 28: Gone, But Not For Long

Emerald was one of the few who was onto the news that Crescent, sister of Andromeda and Hunter, was pregnant. Yet, nobody knew who the father of the pups was, and that worried Hunter and Andromeda, even though none of them said anything. Emerald could tell. It was too easy to tell.
"Emerald, are you feeling alright?" Diamond asked, when the two were sitting in their cave. Emerald was staring at the walls, watching the spiders clamber up, and small pebbles line the edges. It was boring, but Emerald found everything boring at the particular moment: Hunter, Ruby, their pups, the Skystar Rebellion, Andromeda, Crescent, Queen Cora, Diamond... everything.
"I'm fine," Emerald answered shortly. Diamond raised her eyebrows and gave her a look saying she did not believe her, and she better come up with an excuse before Diamond called Abalone to check on everything. "I'm just bored of this place," Emerald sighed, looking around, "it's gotten boring."
Diamond gave her a questioning look. "Yes, it's a cave that is incredibly boring to stare at. That's why we're going hunting soon."
Emerald sighed again. "No, you don't get it. I find everything boring. Skystar, the rebellion, Queen Cora, Andromeda, Midnight, prophecies, Ina, literally everything."
"Well, you can't really do anything about it, can you? We have to stay."
Emerald growled softly, under he breath. Diamond didn't get it. She didn't want to stay in this place, a place which bored her to death. She didn't feel free here, like she could do what she pleased. She needed a break, a short break somewhere else. Then, she'd come back in a better mood. That sounded good.
"No, Diamond," Emerald sighed. "I'm going to take a break, okay?"
"You've been taking a break since we got here," Diamond snapped, looking annoyed. Oh, great. Now she'd lost her cool. This would make everything a lot harder than Emerald had bargained for.
"No," Emerald sighed softly. "I'm going, okay? Maybe I'll find where King Kai has gone to, or mother. Maybe I'll stay with Queen Antarctica, I don't know."
Diamond opened and closed her mouth. She appeared speechless. "Forever?" she asked weakly. "You're leaving us forever?" She looked so sad, Emerald felt like her heart was breaking into tiny little pieces.
"No, silly," Emerald laughed. "Just for a bit. I'll be gone, but not for long."