10 - O Children

I ran after Ron, my backpack bouncing on my back as I caught up to him.

"What do you want?" he grumbled.

"I've been told to go with you, by the Hermione Granger herself," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well that's just great," he said sarcastically.

"Come on, I'm not that bad. Plus, the only reason she told me to go with you is so you wouldn't be alone,"

"And I suppose she couldn't have just said that herself then, could she?" he grumbled.

"Are you well enough to apparate? I'm tired of bloody walking," I switched the subject.

"Let's just do it, I'll be fine," he said quietly.

I looped my arm in his, and we were off.

One week later...

Ron and I had decided to set up camp in my old flat. It seemed stupid I know, but it had been abandoned for nearly a year now, and why would anyone come snooping?

I'd used the reparo charm Dumbledore used at Slughorn's house for most of the rooms, but a few objects were still broken. I obviously couldn't repair an entire room as well as Dumbledore could.

I could tell Ron just wanted to relax, and we wouldn't find a horcrux on our own anyways, so we decided just camping out here for the next few weeks would be fine.

I took my room that looked out over Diagon Alley, but I had to be careful because the window had been broken. If anyone saw me through that broken window, I'd be screwed. I just covered it up with my torn window curtains. Boarding up the window with wood would be too obvious.

We couldn't use any lights either. Luckily the windows gave us enough of a view during the day, but at night it was pitch black. We couldn't talk above a whisper, either. There were so many new rules for our safety we had to put in place.

I'd opened the secret floorboard in my Dad's room, where Ron was staying, revealing a safe containing a wad of cash, and plenty enough galleons to get through the time we'd stay here.

Lucky enough for us, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes was across the street, so Ron would sneak in not only to buy food, but to say hello to his brothers. I wish I could see Fred and George, but me leaving the house was too risky.

Ron and I had spent most of our time playing wizarding chess. The board sat in front of us while he taught me strategies and the best moves. It was the only thing that would take his mind off Hermione; and God was the complaining constant.

"I miss her,"

"I feel so bad."

"Do you think she'll forgive me?"

"I shouldn't have yelled at her,"

"How are we gonna find them again?"

I always replied with 'mhm' to reassure him, but that last question got me thinking. How the hell would we find them again? It's not like you can apparate to a person. You have to picture a place.

I stood up, peeking through the curtains over the dark alley. The streets were filled with snatchers and death eaters. What the hell had happened to the bright, happy place I once knew? Nearly every shop was completely shut down; people didn't dare let their children go outside anymore.

I wonder what Draco is doing. His task is over. I hope he's okay.

Before I'd left, I'd taken the ring back from Hermione's bag and put it on my finger again. It felt strange to have it off; I didn't like it.

Ron entered with a few sandwiches from the leaky cauldron.

"Dinner," he motioned for me to follow him into the kitchen. We ate silently, my eyes gazing at my Mother's chair.

"So, how do we find them again?" Ron said suddenly.

"I'm not sure, maybe it has to do with that gift Dumbledore gave you," I said.

"How? All it does is give and take light from objects," he pondered.

"I'm not sure yet. But so far all of Dumbledore's objects have been useful. I have a feeling it might be the reason for this," I exclaimed, taking another bite.

"I'm gonna head to bed," I stood, putting my dishes in the sink, then walked to my bedroom, slipping under the covers, listening as the bustling alley below quieted.

HARRY'S POV

Hermione began to cry as we arrived at our next destination.

We sat in the tent after I had placed protective enchantments.

"Do you think they're alright?" she sniffled, curled up in a ball on the stairs as the radio played.

"They'll be fine, I'm sure of it," I exclaimed.

We sat silently, music playing in the background.

Suddenly, I got an idea. I stood out of my chair, walking in front of her. I turned up the radio volume, then held out my hand.

She looked up at me, her eyes red, but took my hand anyways.

We began to slow dance around the tent, my hand on her waist as we twirled around to the music.

Hey, little train! Wait for me!
I once was blind but now I see
Have you left a seat for me?
Is that such a stretch of the imagination?

Hey little train! Wait for me!
I was held in chains but now I'm free
I'm hanging in there, don't you see
In this process of elimination...

And as we swayed, I couldn't help but think about Caroline and Malfoy. Almost a sense of.. Understanding? Hermione and I weren't dancing out of pleasure and celebration, it was more like a distraction. A distraction from war. Two best friends trying to grasp onto the little happiness they had left.

As the song came to a close, I pulled Hermione into a tight hug.

"They'll be alright, I promise," I held her. I had meant Ron and Caroline, of course. But a little part of me in the back of my mind meant her and Draco.

They'd be alright. They would make it. They had to.

I don't know what I'd do if they didn't.