26 - To Find a Diadem

I grouped up with Ron, Hermione and Harry in the main corridor.

"Are they secured?" Harry asked me.

"They are," I panted having just run down and up a million stairs.

"We've been thinking, it doesn't matter if we can find the horcrux," Ron said.

"What?"

"Unless we can destroy it," Hermione stated.

"Well, we were thinking-"

"Well actually Ron was thinking, it was Ron's idea, it was completely brilliant," Hermione smiled.

"You destroyed Tom Riddle's diary with a basilisk fang, right? Well, me and Hermione think we might know where to find one," Ron exclaimed.

"Great, Caroline and I will go after the horcrux. Take this, that way you can find us when you get back," Harry stated, handing Hermione the Marauder's map.

Harry took my arm, and we started to run off.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asked.

"Ravenclaw common room, ought to start somewhere right?" he yelled, both of us running up the stairs.

"Harry!" a voice yelled behind us.

"It's Luna," I stopped running.

"We've got to go, I don't have time to-"

"Harry Potter, you listen to me right now," Luna yelled.

Harry stopped in his tracks at that.

"Don't you remember what Cho said about Rowena Ravenclaw's lost diadem? No person alive has seen it. You need to talk to someone who's dead," Luna exclaimed.

Blue light began to blare out the window. Luna, Harry and I all stared out, seeing a large forcefield being made around the castle, like the glass that surrounds a snow globe, protecting the delicate scene inside.

"It's very impressive isn't it?" Luna smiled.

She pulled us away, walking us to a corridor in Ravenclaw tower.

"If you're to find her, you'll find her down there," she pointed down the steps.

"Aren't you coming?" Harry asked her.

"No- I think it's best if you two speak alone," Luna waved, leaving us in the corridor.

"I'll wait here," I said, standing in the corridor.

Harry slowly walked down the steps. I sat against the wall silently, fiddling with the rings on my fingers; two of them Draco's, one my mother's, and one a butterfly that I'd bought myself two years ago.

I ran my finger over the ruby, examining it carefully. If you looked close enough, you could see the golden energy pulsating inside. I wonder how my Mother got her hands on this ring. I stood, looking out the window to see the shield beginning to crumble as spells rocketed towards us. The death eaters had arrived.

"It's in the room of requirement," Harry said, startling me.

"Alright, let's go," I stood, and we began to run. The corridors were loud as we ran from Ravenclaw tower, into the main corridor.

Suddenly Harry stumbled back into the wall, crumbling to the ground.

"Harry," I shook his shoulders. Ron and Hermione must've done it. They must've destroyed it.

"Are you alright?" I crouched down.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good," he panted.

"Come on, we've got to go," I stood, holding out my hands to help him stand.

We ran into Ginny and Neville in the main corridor.

"Ginny! Neville!" Harry yelled as we met up with them.

"Are you alright?" I looked at Neville's head injury.

"Never better! I feel like I could.. Spit fire!" Neville smiled.

"Only you," I rolled my eyes smiling.

"Are the kids safe?" I asked.

"They've got enough people looking after them, don't worry," Ginny exclaimed.

"You haven't happened to see Luna have you?" Neville asked.

"Luna?" I asked.

"I'm bloody in love with her. I'd like to tell her, seeing as we'll both be dead by dawn," he said, scurrying off to Ravenclaw tower.

Ginny gave Harry a long kiss, then hugged me.

I looked at her hurriedly.

"I know." she smiled, running up the stairs, leaving Harry and I to go to the room of requirement.

We ran through the halls, ceilings collapsing above us, his hand in mine as we ran to not lose each other in the crowd.

"Right there," he pointed with his free hand, the room of requirement wall just ahead of us. I screamed as the ceiling began to cave inwards, wood and bricks falling to the ground. We'd escaped narrowly, but we managed to survive.

"You alright?" he let go of my hand.

"Yeah, let's find this stupid thing and get this over with."

DRACO'S POV

I wore my black suit. Father said I had to look presentable for battle, but in my mind I could care less. I didn't want to take any lives tonight. I wanted to salvage one. To save her.

When we were sitting in the main hall of the Manor and were told to apparate into the mountains near Hogwarts, I didn't listen. Instead I apparated inside. I landed in the dungeons, which was bustling with Slytherin students.

"Let us out of here you filthy squib!" Pansy shouted at Mr. Filch who had locked them inside the common room. I muttered a quick spell, unlocking it, but only to grab Blaise and Goyle.

"What're you doing here, mate?" Blaise asked as I pulled them into a side corridor.

"One, I need my wand back, two I need to find her," I hissed. Potter had stolen my wand, and I was angry. Mother had given me hers, but it didn't sit right. I didn't like it, but at least I had something.

We began to run through the halls. I don't know how I knew where I was going, but my feet had managed to carry me to right in front of the room of requirement doors. I looked backwards to see the courtyard. Our courtyard.

"Come on Draco," Goyle said, walking up to the door. I turned back, shutting my eyes, allowing the room of requirement to appear in front of me. We walked inside, twisting through piles of crap nobody would find useful.

"Can you hear anything?" a soft voice said.

"It's getting louder, just keep looking," another voice said.

I ran as fast as I could, rounding a corner to see her rummaging through boxes in search of something, wearing her classic ripped jeans, converse and gryffindor quidditch sweater.

That's my girl.

"Caroline."