11 - Reuniting to Separation

December 24th

Ron and I couldn't necessarily celebrate Christmas Eve with lights or a tree, so instead we spent the day playing wizard's chess, Christmas music on his radio.

"You can play the daily count, if you want to," I said quietly.

"I'd rather spend Christmas Eve as happily as I can, I know it relieves me but it's too depressing to listen to," he mumbled.

"I'm sorry you don't get to spend Christmas with your family, Ron," I sighed.

"It's alright. Now thanks to me I don't even get to spend it with Hermione," he said quietly.

"We'll find them, I promise," I smiled.

Snow fell outside the windows, making the house even colder. If I used my warmth spell it would be suspicious, so we just had to deal with the cold. We were wrapped in coats and blankets as we sat on the ground with our hot teas, playing wizarding chess as Ron won over and over again.

"You're too good at this," I laughed.

Ron turned off the radio.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Do you hear that?" he stood up.

"Hear what?"

"In the distance," he pulled me up as we stood in front of the cold open window.

People were singing Christmas carols in the local church down the road. Bells rang in the alley below. Despite the alley's bleakness, the warm lamps that lit the streets and the Christmas garland that hung from nearby occupied flats made me feel ten times better.

"Happy Christmas Ron," I whispered.

"Happy Christmas."

Suddenly, Ron's backpack began to shake behind us.

"What the-" the deluminator popped out of his bag before I could say another word.

He picked it up off the ground hesitantly, and when he opened it, a blue ball of light began to float in the air.

"It's too bright Ron, we'll be caught, turn it off," I whispered.

"I can't," he pressed the button over and over again. The light began to move.

We grabbed our bags off the ground, following the light out the door, down the steps, and into the alleyway. I threw my hoodie over my head.

"If they see you-"

"Shh," I cut him off.

We tip toed through the alley, following the light through dips and turns. It led right to a sign labeled Knockturn Alley.

"We're not going down there," Ron hissed.

"We have to," I pleaded, following after the ball of light.

When I rounded the final corner, there he stood.

"Oh my god," I whispered.

"Who's there?" he hissed, turning to see the ball of light that stood in front of him. It disintegrated away, revealing me.

"Draco," I breathed, running towards him as fast as my feet could carry me, jumping into his arms.

"Oh thank Merlin you're alright," he cried, wrapping his hands around my waist, holding me tightly to his chest.

I began to cry into his shoulder, my hands wrapped around his shoulders, finally back in his grasp.

"I've missed you so so much," he breathed, tears running down his face as he pulled away, cupping my face.

"I missed you more," I cried even harder.

"My father is in Borgin and Burkes, both of you need to get out of here," he breathed, our foreheads pressed together as I looked into his eyes.

"I can't leave you again, please," I begged, tears streaming down my face.

"I'll see you soon angel, I promise," he pressed his lips against mine, salty tears running down both of our faces, his hands tight on my waist as if he never wanted to let go.

"I don't wanna go," I cried.

"I love you so so much, but you need to leave, please," he pleaded, holding my freezing hands in his, warming them.

"I love you more," I cried, Ron approaching behind me.

Voices from inside of the shop began to grow louder.

"Please," Draco looked into my eyes.

"Happy Christmas," I smiled, tears in my eyes as I took Ron's hand.

"You better protect her Weaslebee," Draco smiled jokingly.

"You bet I will," Ron smiled, and we apparated away as the door to Borgin and Burkes opened.

The second I had him back, he was gone again.

DRACO'S POV

"Who's there?" I hissed, turning my head to see a large ball of blue light in front of me, two figures behind it. I watched in curiosity as it disintegrated, revealing Caroline and Ron.

Oh my god.

Oh my god she's alive.

She's safe.

I stared in awe as she ran into my arms.

"Draco," she cried, tears running down her face as I wrapped my arms around her waist, holding her so tight I thought she might break.

"Oh thank Merlin you're alright," I sighed in relief, tears brimming my eyes, emotions mixing in my chest as her perfume filled the freezing air around us.

She began to cry harder, her head in my shoulder as I held her.

"I've missed you so much," I pulled away, staring into her brown eyes, her pink cheeks, her plump lips. I held a hand up to her cheek, wiping away her tears with my thumb.

"I missed you more," she smiled. But it was a sad smile. She knew she'd have to leave again.

"My father is in Borgin and Burkes, both of you need to get out of here," I said shakily, my forehead pressed against hers.

"I can't leave you again, please," she begged, tears streaming down her face. God this was making my heart fucking break.

"I'll see you soon angel, I promise," I gently grabbed her face, leaning down to kiss her as though I never would again. In this moment, it felt like that.

"I don't wanna go," she cried. God is she stubborn, but that's what I love about her.

"I love you so so much, but you need to leave, please," I took her freezing cold hands in mine, warming them gently. Her ring was still on.

"I love you more," she sobbed, her eyes still glued on mine as I pulled away, my Father's voice growing louder from inside the shop by the second.

"Please," I begged her to leave.

"Happy Christmas," she smiled, tears still running down her face.

"You better protect her Weaslebee," I joked, looking over at Ron.

"You bet I will," he grabbed her hand, and they apparated away, into the night.

"Why are you crying, Draco?" my Father asked. He'd just opened the door to the shop, the storekeeper looking at me confusedly.

I didn't respond.

"Whatever it was, don't be weak," my Father hit my shoulder, grabbing it harshly as we apparated home.

I ran up into my room, Lorelei still sleeping soundly on my bed.

In all honesty, in the past few months I'd gone numb. And there she was, right in front of me on Christmas Eve, a reminder I still had something to fight for.

The only Christmas present I would ever need.