30 - Harry Potter is Dead

One hour later...

DRACO'S POV

The sun was rising outside of the windows.

Potter had left. I didn't know where he went, and not to sound harsh, but I didn't care.

Weasley and Granger had left as well.

I'd returned to my position on the floor, my body shaking in shock, next to Ginny Weasley, who had just lost her best friend.

And I'd lost the love of my life.

My cheeks were tear stained, but no more slipped out. My throat was raw, I couldn't cry. I just wanted to punch a fucking wall in. Murder every death eater outside of these walls.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do now," I whispered, my voice hoarse.

"Me either," Ginny answered.

"I'm sorry for being a dick," I muttered.

"Not the time to apologize Malfoy," she sighed.

"She would've wanted me to," I exclaimed.

"You want to know what Lupin told me once?" Ginny looked at me.

"What?"

"There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, their light remains," she said quietly.

I didn't answer. I just comprehended what she said, understanding each part of the sentence.

She was my light. But the lightbulb had shattered, the LED inside defective.

We sat in silence, Caroline's limp hand still in mine. I couldn't process any of this.

We heard footsteps outside. I stood and looked out the window; the death eaters had returned.

Everyone gathered from the hall, standing outside in the main courtyard.

"Who's Hagrid carrying?" Ginny asked, standing next to me, Longbottom and her Father.

"Neville who is it?" she asked, fear in her voice.

"Harry Potter, is dead," Voldemort yelled.

My heart sank to my stomach.

"NO, NO!" Ginny screamed, her father holding her back.

"Silence! Stupid girl," Voldemort muttered. "Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you will put your faith in me," he smiled evilly. "Harry Potter is dead," he repeated himself, the death eaters laughing behind him.

The crowd of students was silent, tears streaming down people's faces.

We'd lost.

"Now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us, or die."

I stood silently, still next to Ginny and Neville.

"Draco," my Father hissed. I stood my ground hesitantly.

"Draco," he pleaded once again.

I looked at Ginny, and she wrapped a hand in mine.

"Don't," she whispered.

"Stay. For her. For Harry. Please," she pleaded. In her eyes she was begging, begging for me to get the redemption I deserved after all of these years.

And in my heart I knew if I listened to my Father I'd earn a kick in the balls from Caroline if she were here. That made me smile a little.

"Not going to join your family? Pathetic," Voldemort bickered.

Neville stumbled forward.

"Well we'd certainly hoped for better, what's your name boy?" Voldemort asked.

"Neville Longbottom," he said confidently, the sorting hat in his hand. The death eaters began to cackle.

"Well Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks-"

"I'd like to say something," Neville said.

"Well Neville, I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say," Voldemort snickered.

"It doesn't matter that Harry's gone," he exclaimed.

"Stand down Neville," Seamus stammered.

"People die every day. Friends, family, yeah. We lost Harry tonight. But he's still with us. In here," he pointed to his heart.

"So's Fred. Caroline. Remus. Tonks. The list goes on. They didn't die in vain. But you will. Because you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us, for all of us! This isn't over," Neville pulled the Gryffindor sword out of the hat, Harry leaped out of Hagrid's arms, so much happened in a span of five seconds I couldn't take it in.

But everyone's gaze turned to the entrance to the main corridor.

I looked down at my hand.

My ring had returned to the color blue.

A small glimmer of golden light.