34 - Birthdays

May 24th

Today was my birthday, but I didn't want anything. Instead I'd asked Draco if we could go search the abandoned flat in Diagon Alley where I'd lived with my father for any leftover keepsakes and stuff we could use for the house. He'd agreed.

We arrived hand in hand, walking up the steps as I pushed open the door. We stepped over broken glass and began to look through the rubbish that lay throughout the flat. We started in my room.

"What are we gonna do for jobs?" he asked, as we looked through bins and drawers of junk.

"I'm hoping I can take up my Dad's spot in the dragon's research and restraint bureau at the ministry," I smiled.

"You'd be good at that,"

"They're so cute and cuddly," I giggled.

"Only you would call dragons cute and cuddly," he rolled his eyes.

"The babies are, you can't deny that," I smiled.

"Fine, as long as none of them burn your face off,"

"What about you?" I asked him.

"I'd like to become an Auror. Catch bad guys like my Father," he said quietly, hesitating.

"I sense there's a but coming in somewhere around here," I turned around, facing him as I pulled a silver ring out of one of the drawers.

"But, I'm nervous they won't take me," he sighed.

"You shouldn't be, you'd be an amazing Auror," I said, taking his hand, sliding the ring I'd found on his pinky finger.

"Is this mine now?" he smiled, looking down at it.

"Sure," I gave him a kiss on the cheek, walking into the kitchen. As I rummaged through the shelves, I spotted a large book covered in brown parchment paper.

"Find something?" he asked, standing in the doorway.

"Maybe," I began to flip through the pages. It was a cookbook. As I turned each piece of parchment, looking at the writing, a slip of paper fell gracefully to the ground. I leaned down to pick it up, reading it over.

"What is it?" he asked.

"My Mother's croissant recipe."

That Night...

We hadn't found much due to the snatcher's doings, but we'd found a few items. Some of my Dad's books, some jewelry, a small clock; we were basically starting from scratch. We apparated back to Hogwarts, putting our findings in the corner of Draco's room, then walked up to the great hall for dinner.

"So Ginny, Harry, what are your plans?" Hermione asked as we sat down.

"Don't know. Maybe find a house somewhere in London. Personally I'd like a flat, but-"

"Harry Potter, I am not living in a flat," Ginny rolled her eyes.

"-Ginny does not want a flat," Harry finished his sentence.

"Ah, house troubles," I smiled.

"Easy for you to say, you and Malfoy have been planning where you're gonna live out your life with your kids for what, two years?" Ron laughed.

I blushed a little at that. So did Draco.

"Anyways, I'd like a nice suburban home. Not in the middle of nowhere, but I don't want to be in the city," Ginny said.

"I'm sure you guys will figure it out," Hermione smiled.

June 5th

We woke up in Draco's dormitory.

"Happy birthday," I smiled, looking up at him as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Thank you," he smiled down at me.

"I have a present for you," I said, getting out of bed, throwing my shirt and pants back on.

"Really?"

"Yes, get dressed, we're going somewhere," I said.

We grabbed a quick breakfast in the great hall before walking out into the main courtyard.

"Ready?" I held out my hand for him to take it.

"We're leaving?"

"Temporarily," I looked at him.

He took his hand in mine, and we apparated into the city of London.

"What are we doing here?" he asked.

"Turn around," I smiled, his hand still in mine. He looked at the sign of the building in front of him.

"Tattoo parlor."

He realized.

"Oh my god I love you so much," he pulled me into the biggest hug I could ever imagine.

We walked inside, a huge smile on his face.

"How can I help you today, sir?" the person at the front desk asked.

"I'm here to cover up an um- an old tattoo," Draco said.

"Follow me," the man smiled, and we followed him to the back, where Draco sat in the chair.

Draco rolled up his sleeve, revealing the dark mark which was covered in old scars.

"What are you covering this up with today?" the artist asked.

Draco looked up at me.

"Anything you want," I smiled.

"How about a rose?"

That evening...

We returned to Hogwarts after spending the afternoon shopping in London. Draco had wandered off at one point while I went into a clothing store. He'd said he went to a sports store nearby, but I didn't know why he'd care about muggle sports. When he returned he was carrying a small jewelry bag. It was probably a present or something.

When we dropped off our bags in his room, I saw him tuck something small into a cabinet, then lock it tight with a spell.

I wonder what he's doing.