Chapter 6

Henry and Winter made their way to Roni's, Henry knocked on the door, Roni opened the blinds and Henry smiled at her.

Roni opened the door, letting them both in, "Come on in, our one-handed detective is already here," Roni said. Winter and Henry walked behind Roni as they walked to the table, Roni noticed the box in Henry's hands, "What's that?" Roni asked.

Winter sat opposite Henry and Rogers, "Wasn't sure what was appropriate for a gathering like this, so I picked up some doughnuts," Henry said.

"Don't ask me why he did," Winter said, Henry playfully glared at her and she winked at him.

"Right, because the key to bringing down Victoria Belfrey is a bear claw," Roni said.

"Much appreciated, mate and you'll have to excuse Roni, she's a bit ornery," Rogers said.

"Winter's the same," Henry said.

"Oh hush," Winter said.

"Yeah, well, you're new around here, Henry. So, soon you'll be ornery, too. Just give it time," Roni said.

Rogers looked at Roni, "You brought us together because you said you had something," Rogers said.

"Yes. Last time, we had a customer who works for the building commission, he got pretty drunk. Started spouting off about how he was going to make some real money off Belfrey. She needed him to do her a favour. Heard him say that they were meeting this afternoon in Hyperion Plaza, across from Belfrey Towers," Roni said.

"Bribes, public officials, redeveloping the neighbourhood at the expense of the new duo, this is good. This is really good," Roni, Rogers and Winter looked at him confused, "I-I mean, it's bad, it's bad, it's a good story, it's a bad thing," Henry tried to clear up.

"Well said," Rogers said.

"Thank you," Henry said.

"I'll go and stake it out. If I can get to the guy, maybe I can get him to give us info on everything Belfrey has her dirty little hands on," Rogers said.

"Like your missing girl case?" Winter said.

"Aye, love," Rogers said.

"A stakeout, huh? That sounds pretty cool, always kind of wondered what one of those was like. Mind if I, uh, stage along with you?" Henry asked.

"Sorry, mate. I think I'll be less conspicuous alone. Why don't you stick to your expertise and try and do a little research? Figure out who our target is," Rogers said.

"So, I'm research guy, fun," Henry said and Winter chuckled.

"Baby steps, I will keep pouring drinks and make sure to keep my ears open," Roni said.

Henry looked glum being the research guy and Rogers noticed the look on his face, "Hey, don't look so glum. You, uh, picked a hell of a bear claw," Rogers said as he picked one up and left the bar.

Rogers made his way to the station and printed off some information about the building commissioner, Michael Griffith. 

As Rogers was leaving the station, Weaver was walking inside and noticed the papers in his hand, "Paperwork, the hardest part of the job," Weaver said.

"Yeah or the dullest," Rogers said.

"Here's something else that's dull. Tag this as evidence for me, will you?" Weaver said as he held up an envelope said.

"I'm afraid I can't, I've got something I have to take care of," Rogers said.

"Oh, really? And what would that be?" Weaver asked as he leaned against a desk.