Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Free

After 2 Years

"Serine, what time is my next meeting?" my boss asked, the reason why I immediately opened my tablet to check the time of her next meeting.

"Ma'am, you're having a meeting with Mr. Beltran. Actually it's not a business matter, but he scheduled himself to meet you," I replied, and I heard Ma'am Valerie hissed with such frustration.

"Hindi ba sinabi ko sa'yo na kapag hindi tungkol sa negosyo ay huwag mong bigyan ng schedule?" pagpapaalala niya sa akin kaya nakagat ko ang ibabang labi ko at yumuko bahagya para humingi ng pasensya.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, pero makulit po kasi si Sir Beltran. Pumunta po siya sa dito sa France para lang maka-usap kayo," paliwanag ko pero tinaasan niya lang ako ng kilay.

"Tss, sa tingin niya may pakialam ako? Bakit ba pumunta ang gagong 'yon dito e' hindi na nga kami magkaibigan ng asawa niya." Minasahe niya ang kanyang sentido dahil sa labis na inis at sumandal na lang sa kanyang upuan.

Yes, Ma'am Valerie is like this, as always. She's focused only on her business, and if the conversation is not about business, she's refusing to meet that person.

Ma'am Valerie is cold and arrogant. She's always on point when it comes to saying her opinions because she doesn't like sugar-coating words. Sometimes she even gets into a fight because of her behavior, but I think she's not bothered about it.

"I-cacancel ko po ba, Ma'am?" tanong ko dito.

Bumuntong-hininga ito at umiling. "No, don't cancel it. Hindi titigil ang lalaking 'yan hangga't hindi niya ako nakaka-usap."

"Copy, Ma'am," tugon ko kay Ma'am Valerie at akmang lalabas na ng kanyang opisina nang biglang magsalita ito.

"Serine, do you still have parents?" she asked all of a sudden, and with that question, I felt numb and paralyzed to the spot I'm standing. Why does she need to know if I still have parents?

I swallowed hard and shifted my gaze towards her. This is the first time she asked me about my parents, and I just want to cut the discussion off because I'm not comfortable talking about them.

"Y-Yes, Ma'am," sagot ko kay Ma'am Valerie.

"If your parents are still alive, then why are you here all by yourself working for me for two years already?" sunod niyang tanong na dahilan para mas bumigat ang bawat paghinga ko.

I'm here all by myself in France because I want to be free. If I'm going to go back to the Philippines, I'm sure they will hurt and lock me again in their hands. I don't want that to happen again.

"M-Ma'am, it's just that--"

"It's okay if you don't want to answer it. I could see that you're uncomfortable talking about them," she cut me off, which caused me to sigh. Mabuti na lang at hindi niya ako pinilit na sagutin ang tanong niya dahil pakiramdam ko ay wala akong maisasagot.