THIRTEEN

It was nearly nine in the evening on their first night at Sungjae's house but Joy is still wide awake while Youngjae is already in dreamland hours ago.  It was her first time sleeping in a new house, so she's still adjusting to her environment.  And the knowledge that Sungjae is not home yet made it harder for her to relax.  Joy could never fall asleep unless she knows everyone is safely home.  She has always been like that, even when she lived with her Sohee unnie, and then later on, with her Sungjin oppa.  Joy was having tea in the kitchen when she heard the front door open.  Looking at the clock, Joy saw that it was already 9:45PM.  "Can't sleep?" Sungjae asked Joy as a way of greeting when he saw her in the kitchen.  "Yeah. Would you like to have some dinner? Ahjumma cooked before she left. I could re-heat it for you," Joy asked him.  "No, it's okay. I already ate at the office. Sorry I wasn't here to help you settle in today," Sungjae said, surprising Joy with his apology.  "Oh, it's okay. Your parents were here. And Miran ahjumma helped us settle in," Joy said.  "Tea?" Joy offered.  Sungjae shook his head.  "Okay. Uhm, I'll go to my room now," she said awkwardly, picking up her cup of tea.  "Do you like it? Your room?" Sungjae suddenly asked, stopping her in her tracks.  "Yes. Thank you. It's beautiful. And Jaejae absolutely loved his," she replied, turning around.  "That's good then," he said.  Joy smiled at him, waiting for him to say something else.  "Well, goodnight," she said when it seems there was nothing more.  "Goodnight," Sungjae said.  Joy was already headed back to her room when he remembered that he needed to talk to her about getting a driver for them.  No matter. I'll just talk to her tomorrow, Sungjae said to himself.  He was about to go to his own room when he saw a jar full of chocolate chip cookies on the counter.  Oh, ahjumma is baking cookies again, he thought to himself, smiling.

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Joy woke up early the following morning.  As she came out of her room, she glanced at Sungjae's bedroom door.  Is he still asleep or has he left already? Joy thought, recalling Miran's words the previous day about his usual routine on Sundays.  Her question was answered after she saw his note on the counter when she entered the kitchen.  OUT WITH THE HYUNG-DEUL, it says.  "I guess Ilhoon-ssi was right. It is like having the house to ourselves," Joy said out loud to herself, crumpling the sticky note before dumping it in the garbage can.  She made coffee after figuring out how the machine works.  Looking around her while waiting for the coffee to brew, Joy thought the house doesn't look lived in.  This house feels so lonely. Maybe that's why he doesn't spend time here. Does he even put up a tree for Christmas? Joy thought.  Thinking about it, Joy realized there are only a couple of months before the holidays.  She wondered how different their celebration would be now that the Yooks has found Youngjae.  Joy sighed as she turned to the counter when the machine beeped.  Joy frowned when her eyes accidentally fell on the cookie jar.  That's strange. I'm sure this was full last night, Joy thought to herself.  Her musings was interrupted when Youngjae walked into the kitchen.  "Good morning, eomma," Youngjae greeted her.  "Good morning. What would you like for breakfast?" Joy asked.  "Can I have pancakes?" Youngjae said.  "Sure," Joy said, taking out the ingredients she would need.  "Eomma, is samchon still asleep?" Youngjae asked.  "No. He's already out with his hyung-deul," she told him.  Turning to look at him, Joy could see that he was a little disappointed.  "Do you need anything from him?" she asked him.  "No. I just wanted to thank him for our rooms," he replied.  "Well, your samchon is a busy man. Maybe you'll get to see him tonight or tomorrow morning," she said as an excuse.  "Maybe," Youngjae said.  His gloomy look made Joy's heart ache that she decided to talk to Sungjae later.  She and Youngjae spent the day unpacking the rest of their things, stopping only to eat lunch, then resuming work.  As she takes out the framed photos, Joy saw the one of Sungjae's during his graduation from the university.  It was Sungjin oppa's favorite picture.  In it, Sungjae was facing the camera.  He was smiling but the expression in his eyes was like he was searching for something...  Or someone.  Should I give this to him? But would he even want it? Joy debated with herself.  In the end, she decided to put it on Youngjae's bedside table along with his photo with his parents and theirs.  After a few hours, they were finally done.  "Eomma. I'm hungry," Youngjae said.  Joy glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost dinner time.  "Fried chicken?" Joy asked.  Youngjae nodded excitedly.  They already finished eating dinner, but Sungjae still hasn't come home.  Joy told Youngjae to clean up and get ready for bed.  They have to leave for school earlier than usual since they now live a little farther from the school.  After tucking Youngjae in, Joy went back to her room to prepare for bed herself.  Coming out of her bathroom, Joy looked at the clock.  7:15PM, it read.  She went out of her room and tiptoed to Sungjae's, thinking maybe he came home while she was in the shower.  Pressing her ears on his door, she tried to listen for any sound or movement.  Hearing nothing, she went back to her room, her ears on alert for any sound.  After about an hour, Joy went to the kitchen.  Just like the previous night, Sungjae came in as Joy was having a cup of tea.  "Hi!" he said, walking up to the fridge to get water.  "Hi! Dinner? There's chicken," Joy said.  Sungjae shook his head.  "Goodnight then," Joy said, taking the cup of tea to her room.  "Sooyoung," Sungjae called out to her.  Joy turned around and was flustered with what she saw.  Sungjae has taken off the sports jacket he was wearing earlier.  She knew beneath those suits and long sleeve shirts, he has a fit body.  But seeing him in a golf shirt that outlined his chiseled chest and showed off his arms made her realize that he isn't just fit.  He is toned.  "Yes?" Joy asked, mentally shaking herself.  "I hired a driver for you and Youngjae," he told her.  "Why?" she asked.  "So you wouldn't have to commute to and from school. This is a little farther from where you lived before. If you take the bus, it will take longer, and you and Youngjae will have to wake up really early to make it to school on time," he explained.  "Okay," Joy agreed, seeing that he was right.  The longer commute might become hard for Youngjae.  "Thank you, Sungjae-ssi," she added.  "No problem. I'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight," Sungjae said.  "Oh, that reminds me. Youngjae would like to talk to you tomorrow. He's been waiting to see you since yesterday. He wants to thank you personally for our rooms," she told him.  "Okay," he replied.  "Sungjae-ssi. Youngjae thinks you're avoiding him because you don't like him. You barely look at him, and you never smile at him. Not even once. I know you're not yet used to having him around, but Youngjae is a sweet boy and it makes him sad when he feels that people don't like him. I would appreciate it very much if you could at least show that you've accepted him as part of your family," Joy added before heading to her room, leaving Sungjae silently staring at her retreating back.

FLASHBACK (THE PREVIOUS NIGHT)

Sungjae watched Joy head back to her room while he stayed in the kitchen, dipping his hand into the cookie jar.  Three cookies later, Sungjae decided to go to bed.  Passing by Youngjae's room, Sungjae slowly opened the door to check on him.  He saw that Youngjae's blanket was on the floor.  Sungjae quietly went in, picked up the blanket and covered Youngjae.  Careful not to wake him up, he sat on the side of the bed.  Gently sweeping his hair off his face, Sungjae stared at Youngjae's face.  "I wish you could've spent many more years with your parents. Your appa was the best hyung in the world. I'm sure he would have been the best appa, too. I'm sorry it took us this long to find you, but I'm glad we finally did. I promise I will do the best I can for you, just like what your appa and eomma would have done. And just like what your Sooyoung eomma has been doing for you. I could even be the best appa for you, if you want," Sungjae softly said.  Kissing him lightly on the forehead, Sungjae then silently tiptoed out of Youngjae's bedroom.

END OF FLASHBACK

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

While waiting for Youngjae to finish dressing up the following morning, Joy brewed coffee in the kitchen.  She was pouring it in a to-go cup when Sungjae came in.  "Good morning, Sooyoung," he greeted her.  "Good morning. Coffee? Or would you like it to-go?" she offered.  "To-go, please. Half sugar, no cream. Thank you," Sungjae said.  Joy gave him his coffee before turning around to prepare Youngjae's lunchbox.  "That looks good," Sungjae said, peeking at what she prepared.  "I made some extra. I could prepare one for you, if you want," she told him.  Sungjae nodded, smiling at her, catching her off-guard.  Joy was stunned to see how his face transformed from attractive to handsome with that simple action.  "Do you always leave this early? It's barely past 6:00AM," Joy asked as she turned to prepare the extra lunchbox to distract herself.  "No. I normally leave at 7:30AM, but I'll be driving you and Youngjae to school today. The driver won't be here until tomorrow," he explained.  Joy nodded.  She was handing him the lunchbox when Youngjae walked in.  "I'm ready, eomma," he said, stopping when he saw Sungjae.  "Good morning, *joka," Sungjae said, smiling at him.  "Good morning, samchon," Youngjae greeted back.  "Samchon is taking us to school today, Jaejae," Joy told him.  "Really?" he asked Joy, excitement evident on his face.  "Thank you, samchon. And thank you for our rooms. Eomma's room is very pretty. Now she can sleep well. And I really love mine," he said, smiling at Sungjae.  Sungjae smiled in return, amused at the young boy's candidness.  "Shall we go? It's Monday and we wouldn't want to be late," Joy said to both.  "Okay," the two chorused.

They arrived at school with ample time to spare.  "Thank you for driving us, samchon," Youngjae said, slightly bowing to Sungjae.  "You're welcome," Sungjae replied, marveling at the boy's good manners.  "I'll go in now, eomma," Youngjae told Joy when he saw the twins.  "Okay. But don't..." Joy began to say as Youngjae sprinted towards the school building without waiting for her reply.  "...Run. Aish! This boy," Joy finished weakly, as Sungjae chuckled.  "Thank you, Sungjae-ssi," she said, turning back to him.  "No. I should be thanking you," Sungjae told her, taking her hand in his.  "Thank you for taking care of him. He's a well-brought up kid. So, thank you for that," Sungjae said. Conscious of Sungjae holding her hand, Joy was lost for words, so she just smiled at him.  "What time do you finish?" Sungjae asked her.  "5:30PM, usually," she said shyly.  "Okay. I'll pick you up then," he said.  "Oh, no. You don't have to. We can just take the bus or the subway. We don't want to bother you too much," Joy protested.  "It's no bother," Sungjae insisted, letting go of her hand as he returned to his car.  Joy turned to go into the building when Sungjae called her back.  "Oh, and Sooyoung. For the record, I have accepted Youngjae as family right from the start. And that goes for you, too," he said, before getting into his car.

=========================

JOKA – nephew

========================