Chapter 46

One Year later

"I'm heading out. See you guys tomorrow."

Ashley frowns, "Aw. You should stay! It's your last day tomorrow. I'll be the only woman teaching these guys how to perfectly sear a fish."

The guys protest and I laugh, "It's probably for the best though, I think our skills are making them question if men are really the best cooks. I think Ashley's going to get the Sous Chef position."

Josh yells out, "Wait! What?"

Chaos ensues and the guys start shouting out reasons on why men are the best cooks and their individual qualifications to be the next Sous Chef. Ashley and I just exchange smiles.

Ashley, Josh, Dave and Daniel have been my friends and family for the past 5 months. We work in the same Italian restaurant in New York. I work there as a Station Chef, together with my friends.

The past year have been so good for me personally. Though I had to sacrifice a lot to get here, I don't regret making that decision.

Last year, I came back here alone, naiwan si Kuya sa Pilipinas to start taking over Lola's business. I remember what Lola said before I decided to return here, she said swerte kami dahil mayroon kaming mga pagkakataong natanggap mula pagkabata namin. We were given the opportunity to start new in a different country, we were given the chance to change, for better or worse was up to us. Pero may mga taong hindi manlang nagkakaroon ng ganoong pagkakataon. Some people are dealt with a bad hand simula ng pagkabata. That's why she says we should make each moment count, and not for anything or anyone else but for ourselves first.

Pati ang buhay namin, it's a blessing not given to just everyone. We owe it to ourselves na siguraduhing we live the best life we were blessed with.

Ang sabi ni Lola, she can only give what she has. She can give us everything she's worked hard for, kagaya ng mga binanggit n'ya ng birthday n'ya. Sabi n'ya it's no big deal kung ipamigay n'ya lahat ng mayroon siya because she's lived a full life. Wala na siyang hhilingin pa. The timing was not perfect, pero she said birthday n'ya naman 'yon so dapat hindi kami magreklamo.

I remember talking to Lola that night and just thinking to myself na that's what I want. I want to live a full life. Not a life lived for another person, not a life lived for pursuing a career, and not a life lived in regret.

Living back in the Philippines when I was younger, I had no plans for myself, walang ibang pangarap kundi ang mapansin ni Ollie. When that didn't happen, I went to the US and pursued a career that was inspired by Lola, but it was not my passion at the time, it was just the best choice.

I never went after something so fiercely that it would crush me if it didn't happen. I never had a dream that I fought hard to achieve. I never fought for myself, and if I'm being honest, I didn't really think much of myself – it was like I was just a blip in my own world.

The night Lola chose us to take over her business, it was just another offering – do I take it and just do it because it was given to me? Or do I do something else? Like, what I wanted for a change?

So I dug deep down and really focused on what I wanted to do. Inisip ko kung anong makakabuti sa akin, hindi dahil sa ayaw ko'ng sundin si Lola, but because when I heard her announce that, I didn't feel happy, I felt pressured. I felt trapped.

I knew I wasn't ready for it.

Binigyan ako ng pagkakataon ni Lola, sabi n'ya I can think about it. Kuya stepped in and said he was ready to take on the responsibilities until I can make up my own mind, until I feel like I'm prepared.