01 - Camp Begins

Tine's POV

"Pass it, asshole" I screamed in frustration, blocking my counterpart, the opposition's point guard.

My power forward was hogging the ball, running across the court, playing a solo game. I could see the defense on the other side forming up to block him.

My shooting guard, Fong, was in a position to score. He was a good shooter, and no one was guarding him.

The asshole dodged his guard and made his shot. The ball arced gracefully into the basket in a three-pointer.

The whistle blew, signalling the end of the game.

We won by one point.

The team erupted in a flurry of cheers, chest bumps and high fives.

I ran up to my power forward, who was busy back-slapping and fist bumping the centre, Boss, and the small forward, Man.

"Did you see that last one?" he exclaimed with a smirk as he saw me.

I grabbed him by the neck and pulled his face to mine till we were less an inch away.

His eyes grew large and his lips parted slightly.

"What were you thinking? There is no place on my team for exhibitionists. You play for the team or you don't play at all" I shouted.

His expression changed from exhilaration to confusion to fury. He pushed me back, hard on the chest.

"There was no time to make a pass. I saw my chance and took my shot. Your call was wrong" he shouted back.

"Don't question my calls on the court. You do as I say, or you don't get to play" I shouted. As the captain and the point guard, I directed the play on the court.

"Great rhyme, but I won't stand by and lose just because you can't see what I can" he countered snarkily.

We were itching to be let at each other. Fong and Ohm were holding me back, muttering something placatory that I neither heard nor cared to.

Man and Boss were at his side and pulling him off the court.

"Fuck you, Saraleo" I shouted as Ohm and Fong dragged me away.

He held up a middle finger.

Day One of basketball camp was clearly going great.

*
One Day Ago

Ohm, Fong, Phuak and I had been accepted to the elite players camp for a week of professional basketball coaching and a chance to play with some of the best basketball players from high schools across the country.

It was the best send-off that we could have expected to our high-school basketball careers before we headed off to college in the fall.

A no-pressure, all-sport week.

Or so I thought.

Fong and I were in the same room with two boys from another school. I read the names on the door.

"Sarawat Guntithanon, Phukong Guntithanon"

"Brothers? Interesting. I don't remember playing against them before" remarked Fong.

I shrugged. I was already thinking about the practice runs and the drills. I was excited to see what new tricks I could learn.

Plus, I was aiming to qualify for the all-star game on the last night of camp between us and the Legacy Seniors from five years ago.

My brother and legendary shooting guard, Type, would be playing.

I wanted to beat him. He was my self-appointed coach and ran me ragged all through high school. I was hungry for payback on the court.