03 - Camp Ends

Tine's POV

"I want to know why two of the best players in the camp can't play a civil game together?" demanded Coach Dim.

Wat and I steadfastly bore holes into the ground, not daring to look at Coach Dim or at each other.

"I would have thought you'd both be shoo-ins for the all-star team, but if you can't check your attitudes on the court, I don't think you deserve your spots" said Coach Dim.

"I'm sorry, Coach. I promise to behave and stick to the spirit of the game" I said immediately, contrite. I was ashamed of having let my emotions take over my game.

"I'm sorry too, Coach" said Wat, beside me.

"You'll spend the next three days partnered up. Drills, gameplays, runs - you'll do them together. If I catch you acting out again, you'll both be benched for the rest of the week. I need you both to bring your A-games to closing night. Understood?" barked Coach Dim.

"Yes, sir" we said together.

*

"Tine, wait up" said Wat, running behind me.

I sighed and stopped. He caught my arm and turned me to face him.

"I'm sorry about last night. I had a lot on my mind. I have no excuse for my behaviour. Forgive me, please?" he said, earnestly.

I looked at him, and found my heartbeats rising. I was acutely aware of his warm hand on my arm and our closeness.

I gulped and wordlessly nodded.

"Are we good?" he said, looking into my eyes. He put one hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah" I croaked, my voice breaking. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside.

His face broke out into a smile that took my breath away.

Lord help me, he was beautiful.

Wat's POV

The next few days were some of the best ones of my life.

Because they started and ended with Tine.

We went for jogs before breakfast, had meals together, ran through our drills as a pair.

Even when we were not playing with or against each other, we would be on courtside seats, cheering for each other.

Tine was funny and sweet. He was passionate about basketball and eager to learn new things every day.

He was considerate and generous. He helped others however he could, giving up his own time on the court if someone else needed extra practice, or correcting postures and running extra plays even when he was dead tired.

We went for strolls along the breezy riverside after dinner, discussing the shots from that day, and swapping stories from our lives.

I found myself opening up to him. I told him about my life in the States, growing up with Kong. Our parents were doctors, and we were both about to follow in their footsteps.

Tine and I spent so much time together that Kong felt neglected.

"I never see you anymore" he whined, clinging to my arm over breakfast.

I laughed at his puppy-eyes and baby-face expression.

"That's because you're sucking face with Mil all the live long day" I countered, rolling my eyes.

Mil had asked Kong out on Day Two and they'd pretty much been glued together since then.

I was jealous of Kong, who had always let himself freely follow his heart. It was one of the things that made him so popular.