𝟏𝟎

Pulling up to one of my family's many estates, I parked in the garage next to my brother's car

I got out of the car and used my key to get inside.

"Mama?" I called out as I walked into the house and past the foyer.

I walked into the kitchen and saw my mom at the stove cooking something as usual.

"Figlio? Is that you?" She asked cheesing hard. She sat down the serving spoon in the counter and opened her arms up, waiting for a hug.

"Sí, mama." I walked over and gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek.

"You little boys grow up and swear you don't have to come by and see your one and only mother anymore." She rolled her eyes.

"Mhmm." I chuckled.

"Grayson said you've gotten yourself a girlfriend."

"He talks too damn much. Don't listen to anything he says."

Kimani and I  weren't really official and if anything I wanted to take her on a couple of dates before it happened.

"Mm-hm." She narrowed her eyes at me, "You're lying and watch your mouth."

After talking to my mom for a few more minutes, I went up to my brother's office. I reminisced about the time it was supposed to be mine.

"This will all be yours soon son," I remembered the words of my father. "You'll be the next head of the Moretti family."

At the time, it felt like it was the best thing that could happen for me but clearly things change.

"Where the hell have you been?" Remy asked as soon as I entered the office.

Can I breathe first?

"Handling my business, which doesn't have shit to do with you."

"It obviously does, if you need my help," Remy retorted with a cocky grin on his face.

This was something normal for us. For as long as I remember, my brothers and I always spoke aggressively towards each other. We always toned it down near mom though.

"Someone shot at this girl that I care about and that same day her dad got shot and now he's in an induced coma-"

He cut me off, and I stale-faced him.

"Wait, little bro got a girlfriend? I ain't even know you had game like that. She just better not be ugly either." He teases.

I sucked my teeth. "You're always trying to play me. Girls have been on me."

"But that's beside the point. We might have to kill a couple of people."

"I thought you were a noble fireman? Your exact words were "I need to leave my head is fucked up." He had a goofy grin on his face as he mocked my voice.

"Didn't say I was noble anything." I shrugged my shoulders and leaned back in my chair as I thought back to the time I told my father I didn't want anything to do with this life anymore.

He was furious.

"So you're going to kill a few people for some bitch you're seeing?"

I scrunched my face up. "She's not a bitch."

Remy shook his head at me with a smirk on his face.

𐩃

"The car that did the drive-by and shot the men who were going to shoot your lady didn't have any license plate, but I could get a facial recognition on one guy in the car." Ghost picked up the IPad and handed it to me.

Ghost used to be my right hand before I left but now he is Remy's.

I looked at the picture of a man in his mid-thirties with brown eyes, brown skin, and filled with tattoos.

Feeling Remy hover over my shoulder, I gave him the IPad so he could see.

"That is Leon Ortega. The right-hand man of the Vipers. Their leader used to be Kaizer Davis, the one who got shot. Seems to me he's just looking after his ex-boss' daughter." Ghost shrugged his shoulders.

"See your girl is safe. Her dad's a gang leader for fuck's sake. How ironic." Remy chuckles and pulls out his phone.

"It's not fucking funny. Why didn't she tell me?" I grumbled to myself.

"Did you tell her you were a part of a mafia family?"

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Okay then."

"That's beside the point," I mumbled. "Ghost, did you figure out who sent the boys who tried to shoot Kimani, though?"

"Ooh, her name's Kimani. That's sexy." Remy teased.

"Shut the fuck up, for real." I glared at him. I unclenched my fist and rubbed my temples, trying to calm down. Remy really knew how to get on my damn nerves.

"Yeah, looks like they work for an uhh... Theodore Talbot."

Quickly getting up out of my chair, I grabbed my keys and my phone off the table.

Looking at my phone, I frowned my face up, seeing that I had missed a couple of texts from Kimani.

"What's wrong with you? Missed a couple of texts from wifey?" Ghost teases while Remy laughs.

"Mind your fucking business." I quickly started texting Kimani back.

"He's pussy whipped as hell." Remy started laughing loudly and smacking the table.

I sucked my teeth and glared at him. "you're doing way too much."

"Ghost, text my burner the details on this guy. I'm going after him tonight and by myself."

"Got it!" He called out as I walked out the door.

"You're not doing it by yourself. I want some fun too." Remy hollered before I could leave the room.