Island Love {AU English}

Ich hatte mal Lust einen OneShot auf Englisch zu schreiben, also hab ich das getan. Ich hoffe das macht euch nichts aus. :)

It's six in the morning when I board the aircraft for the first time today. There are several flights I have to attend to today and there are also plenty of postbags and passengers who will want to be flown over to a different part of this cold and less populated place.

My place of occupation is Kirkwall, the main city of Mainland, Orkney. The Orkneys consist of over 70 isles, some populated, some not. Up here, even above the Scottish Highlands, we have nothing but the endless sea, everlasting bad weather conditions and sheep.

Not many people chose to spend their lives up here and so the islands are like a great village of sorts. Everyone knows everybody. Many smaller islands have some kinds of primary schools but once the children need some higher education, they have to be flown to Kirkwall every morning or choose to spend the time between the holidays on Mainland.

My mother and I moved here when I was just a small child because my father died and she needed to get away from the place she had lived in for so long. And because she loved nature and archaeology, she chose this deserted part of Great Britain.

I hadn't had much say in it, as I was barely able to walk at the time but I grew fond of the place and I really like it now. There is pretty much only one thing I don't like and that is the fact that there aren't really people my age that I could possibly fall in love with. Especially because I am gay. And life really can get lonely up here without someone to share it with. Lonely and very cold.

But since I grew so fond of the place and also didn't want to leave my mother alone, I decided to stay on the Orkneys after I graduated school. I had always wanted to be a pilot, ever since I was a small boy, and the old man who flew the aircraft when I was little gladly volunteered to teach me a bit about it. But I needed a degree, so I went to Inverness for a time, as it was one of the nearest cities in which I could study to be a real pilot.

During that time I discovered that my life on the island was boring, but it was also the only life I wanted. The city was loud and full, everything had to be done fast and preferably it should all have happened yesterday. It was quite the opposite of what I had known all my life.

Orkney was quiet, everything was done slowly and the things needed time. You were taught patience on the island and I was used to the slow ways of the island. And that's alright. The city may be able to offer me a cinema, a nightclub or the option to get some ice cream in the middle of the night but I wouldn't trade those options for all the money in the world. Not when I could have stunning sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean and peaceful afternoons on a field, surrounded by sheep and green grass.

The time in Inverness taught me many good things, love for one. But not a love that was made to last. Deep enough to experience some things together, but as our ways parted because I went back home, there were no tears, only warm words of farewell. And with home on the horizon that was not bad at all.

"Morning Pilot Styles," the airport worker greets me as I enter the building.

"Morning Terrence. Normal school round for this morning?" I ask. Normally, my day starts by collecting the children from the islands and flying them to school.

If there were bags from the Royal Post for a particular island, I would take them with me and hand them over to the airport employees working. After that, I often flew tourists who wanted to see the other islands or natives, visiting friends and families.

If one of the inhabitants of a small island wanted to be picked up, they would just call and I would include them in my rounds. It's a great routine and it works pretty well for us here.