xx

CHAPTER TWENTY 

─── apologizes

YOU SAT IN THE piloting seat, resting your head against the leather headrest, staring out the window with a now empty mind

YOU SAT IN THE piloting seat, resting your head against the leather headrest, staring out the window with a now empty mind. It was as if your frets tired your brain out. It was no surprise, you've been thinking non-stop for the last couple of hours. 

The sky was painted in a striking orange pink as the sun began to set. Its rays of light flittered through the clouds. It was beautiful, but it didn't feel quite right. The cheery color palette in the sky didn't fit the apprehension that weighed on your shoulders. 

You had parked your ship in a clearing not far from the Last City, gaining some solitude from the bustling Tower. Trees were the sole thing surrounding you, providing a covering from snooping individuals. 

Sure, you could've left the ship hovering midair but that would've wasted precious fuel; glimmer wasn't something that grew on trees. Besides, you didn't know how long Uldren would be out. It had already been over two hours since you returned with a change of clothing and he was still unconscious. 

You made it a point to check up on him every now and then, seeing if his breathing remained stable. Every time nothing had changed, he didn't even budge. 

A small sigh escaped your lips and you closed your eyes feeling exhausted mentally. You sunk into the leather, relaxing your muscles. You lost track of time, and much-needed sleep overtook you. 

You startled awake, jolting forward as you heard a groan coming from behind you. You rubbed your eyes, feeling muddled from unintentionally falling asleep, and stood to your feet. Uldren was stirring at last. You rubbed your eyes and made your way to the former prince's side.

Uldren struggled to sit up, grunting in pain as he moved in stiff motions. 

"Take it easy." You crouched beside him. "You shouldn't be so eager to move, you'll ruin the dressings." You helped him sit, supporting him by his shoulders.

Uldren didn't shrug off your help, instead, he reluctantly accepted it. As his gaze drifted across his body, looking at the bandages, his brows lowered. 

"You...?" He let his question hang, the answer being blatantly obvious. His voice was deep and raspy, seeming groggy from just regaining consciousness. 

"Yeah." You nodded slowly, standing to your feet. "You were out for a couple of hours."

Uldren's washed orange eyes widened in surprise. "A couple of hours?" 

In a feeble attempt to stand, he staggered to his feet. You thought he'd be alright until his legs gave way and he stumbled forward, losing his balance. Without thinking you sidestepped and caught him in your arms, wrapping your arms around his waist. Uldren's hands fell on your shoulders, his bare chest against you.