xvi

CHAPTER SIXTEEN 

─── sparrow ride

YOU ADJUSTED YOUR HELMET, looking a the full-length mirror on the back of the washroom door

YOU ADJUSTED YOUR HELMET, looking a the full-length mirror on the back of the washroom door. It was six o'clock in the morning and you were already ready to head out to the EDZ. You were waiting on Uldren who was getting dressed in the Frumious armor set. It was the only armor you managed to get your hands on and you thought it would do the trick. 

Uldren opened the door, coming out in his grey-blue armor, his helmet in his hands. He glowered, picking at the tight material. "This armor is horrid." 

"Beggars can't be choosers." You jabbed your hand cannon his way. Not like you were about to shoot, but gesturing to him. 

"Yes, yes." He waved you off. He placed the helmet on his head, lifting his hood as well. 

You holstered your weapons and placed a few blades in their sheaths. You handed Uldren a pulse rifle and a shotgun. They were much older weapons you didn't care for, so he could have at it with them. 

"Ready now?" You asked. "You take forever."

"I did only just wake up," Uldren grumbled, sliding his weapons in their holsters. 

That was true. You had woken him up about ten minutes ago by throwing his armor at him as he slept soundly. He woke in a start, scolding you afterward. 

"And?" You asked, crossing your arms over your chest. 

Uldren scoffed. You were sure he was rolling his eyes under his helm. "Let's just go."

With that, you and Uldren made your way out of your apartment. Uldren kept pace with you as you walked down the hall, side by side. You passed people occasionally, but you kept your focus to the floor, not bothering to interact with fellow Guardians. At this point, you were sure nobody would suspect Uldren—unless he spoke—by just his armor. A comfortable silence fell over you both as you made your way to the elevator. 

You stepped into the elevator, letting Uldren enter before pushing a button to force the doors closed. They shut with a soft thud. The mechanics started shifting before moving down. Uldren leaned his back on the wall, staring at the numbers flashing, indicating which floor you passed.  

"So," You started. Uldren looked to you, waiting for you to go on. "I thought we could head to EDZ and do some patrols or public events. What do you think?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's all the same to me."

You snorted at his response, turning away. 

The sun beamed on you as you walked around the EDZ, you felt a bead of sweat trickle down your forehead. It was a hot day. The wind was barely noticeable except for the slight swaying of the trees. The long-neglected church stood in the distance, vines and foliage had grown on its cracked surface, making it appear abandoned. Of course, you knew that wasn't the case since Devrim Kay had taken up residence there.