xxii

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO 

─── he's an exception

PAPERS WERE SCATTERED ACROSS the rounded table in front of you and Uldren

PAPERS WERE SCATTERED ACROSS the rounded table in front of you and Uldren. Some quests, bounties, and junk mail all jumbled together. You leaned forward, resting your elbows on your knees. You shuffled through the papers once more, searching for something to do. 

It's been a week since the Dawning and the festivities have finally quieted down. The decorations that covered over the tower were taken down, along with Eva's makeshift tent. Not to mention the snow had melted away; everything stashed away for the next Dawning. 

Yet again another year had passed, and who knew what the next 365 days would bring. You couldn't begin to imagine what'll occur within the coming months; lately, it's been insane. You didn't even want to think about future possibilities. At this point, too much could happen. 

You reached for a green bounty with the Gambit seal on the front and crumpled it, throwing it to the floor with the rest of them. There was a decent-sized pile beside the sofa, mostly consisting of Gambit missions. There was no way you could do anything involving the Drifter, so in the trash, they go.

A sigh escaped your lips as you sat back, leaning your head against the soft cushion. You had hit a rut. There was nothing to do that wouldn't spark suspicion from the Vanguard—or well—you didn't want to involve yourself with them. "There's nothing to do," You said to Uldren who was seated next to you.

Uldren cocked a brow, nodding towards the scattered papers. "It seems like you have a lot to do." 

"I can't do anything involving the Vanguard. Which is literally everything here," You explained, motioning to the table. "I don't want to increase the odds of you being found."

"As long as you're careful I don't see the issue."

"Well, there's always a risk of something slipping." You shot him a side glance. "Besides, I'm sure even Drifter suspects something. Why else would he mention Petra's killer."

"It could simply be small talk," Uldren reasoned. 

"Of the latest killings?" You gave him a wry smile. "Is that your type of small talk?"

Uldren met your gaze with amusement glinting in his eyes. "Of course it is."

"Why am I not surprised."

Uldren chuckled at your remark and leaned over looking at the piled mail. He picked out a red bounty, flipping it to see a white emblem. "Get sniper kills in the Crucible," He read aloud, handing you the paper. "What about participating in the Crucible?"

You gave the bounty a once over before tossing it back to the table. "And have to deal head-on with teammates? No way." You waved him off, dismissing the idea. "I couldn't be bothered."