xxxviii

FOREWORD | Hello Guardians! Hope you all are doing good. I actually have the entire rest of the book planned out, so things are starting to come to a close (dw, there's still a good chunk of chapters left but get ready for some angst) I actually wrote half this chapter while at work aha, hope you enjoy.

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

─── an old friend

Stars littered the dark expanse surrounding your ship as it bobbed idly in orbit

Stars littered the dark expanse surrounding your ship as it bobbed idly in orbit. You leaned your head back on the headrest, sinking into the familiar leather seat. Your rationality had come to a screeching halt, plagued by the many thoughts pressing against your skull. Where should you go? Are the Vanguard on their way? What's going to happen now? Is it too late?

You let out an exasperated sigh, staring past the triple-paned windows of your spaceship. Various planets were seen in the distance, their colors a beautiful contrast to the blackened space.

"Which one to choose?" you mumbled under your breath, contemplating your options. You needed to choose a new camp, and fast. No doubt the Vanguard had deployed Guardians to find you, it was only a matter of time before your evading was put to an end.

You lifted yourself off the seat and made your way to Uldren who sat on the floor. His back was pressed against the wall with an arm resting on his single raised knee. (G/n) trailed behind you, following like a duckling.

The ship was a decent size, it had enough room to walk around and had some chests on the other wall across from Uldren. The handful of boxes from the camp were scattered disorderly at the end of your ship, they must've slid around while you piloted.

Uldren gave you a side glance as you slid down the wall, sitting beside him. You leaned your head on his shoulder, unafraid now, of physical contact.

"I don't know where to go," you admitted.

Every planet will most likely be patrolled, so camping out won't be as easy as before. You're going to be constantly in a state of worry—running.

Uldren hummed in acknowledgment. He wrapped an arm over your shoulder, pulling you into his lap. He brushed your (h/c) hair from your face and played with your hair softly. "Perhaps you should seek out the Drifter."

"Drifter?" you turned your head in his lap to look up at him. Uldrens jaw was chiseled, like one of those ancient statues. You'd call him a work of art.

"Needless to say, Drifter cares for you."

You let out a scoff. "I don't think he does anymore."

"I'm certain that's not true," Uldren reasoned. He angled his head down, meeting your gaze.

"Well, after what happened... I'm thinking he's the one who tipped the Vanguard."

Deep within, you had a feeling of loss. A loss of a friend. The Drifter was always there for you. Through thick and thin—despite the shady schemes he concocted in the shadows. You even suspected his growing affection for you, although you brushed it off, assuming you were simply overthinking his actions.