xxxiii

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE 

─── together

A BREEZE SWEPT ACROSS the vibrant landscape, bringing with it smells of the Nessus forest

A BREEZE SWEPT ACROSS the vibrant landscape, bringing with it smells of the Nessus forest. You pressed your back against the large wooden trunk, adjusting your position. Here you were, sitting dangerously high on one of the branches belonging to this giant tree. You crossed your feet while turning the page of a book you read. 

It's been a couple of days since the incident involving the splinter of darkness. You haven't spoken about what went down, let what happened in the vision. You kept to yourself and Uldren never pried. In all honesty, the whole experience still plagues your mind. Your thoughts. Your dreams. You couldn't catch a break. 

The darkness has been invading your dreamscape, visiting you each night. Even though you've never told Uldren about the recurring nightmares, you were certain he was aware. There were many nights you woke up in cold sweat, waking Uldren up in the process. You always ushered him back to sleep, assuring him it's nothing. Later you slipped away from your sleeping bag to sit outside, collecting your thoughts.

(G/n) was worried you were suffering from a case of insomnia. Even though you denied it, you thought you were too. 

You let out a sigh, turning the page of the book. You just wanted a break from everything. Your eyes traveled down the page, absentmindedly. The sentences jumbled inside your brain, making a mess of the words. You reread the sentence, focusing this time. 

Your mind was wandering. These forces kept prying into your mind, trying to persuade you to join its cause, to abandon the Light and follow the Darkness. In a way, the Darkness made sense. Any rational person would take its offer into consideration. The temptation to give in was imposing, threatening to pull you under the surface.

After an instant of losing yourself in your thoughts again, you realized you didn't take in a single word you read. "Argh!" You slammed the book shut and leaned your head against the trunk. You couldn't focus at the moment, your mind was whirling.

Rather than the opposing Darkness, your thoughts kept trailing back to the night you woke up from that nightmare. Thinking about how Uldren embraced you, calling you love. Your heart raced at the very thought. You rubbed your face vigorously, trying to calm your newly acquired feelings. It's frustrating, falling in love. You had better things to think about. 

A weight was laying heavy on your weary shoulders, slowly crushing you. It consisted of the decision of whether to follow the Black Fleet and how to handle the feelings you've developed. Two drastically different things but two thought-consuming subjects.

You desperately wanted to talk to somebody about this—to let it all out—but you had no one to turn to. Drifter was no longer an option and you couldn't exactly confide in Uldren. You didn't want to burden him with your issues and besides, you're not about to tell him you've been trying to figure out your feelings about him