xxxiv

FOREWORD | Hello Guardians! I just wanted to apologize for how long it's taking me to update the chapters, I've been extremely busy lately. I started working full-time and trying to juggle other things such as my art commissions etc. So, just bear with me. As I said many times before, I have zero intentions of letting this story go, I'm going to keep updating until this story is concluded (spoiler: there's going to be a second book c: ) Now! without further ado, I hope you enjoy this chapter. 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR 

─── remain in this moment

A SERIES OF BULLETS released from your hand cannon's magazine, striking the vex ahead of you

A SERIES OF BULLETS released from your hand cannon's magazine, striking the vex ahead of you. The exposed mind cores in their abdomens combusted in a flurry of white, metal pieces sent flying. They crumpled to the floor. You bent down to search the remains for conversion matrices. You flicked through the remnants. With no luck, you stood on your feet. A sigh escaped your lips as you shook off the milky radiolarian fluid from your hands, rubbing the residue on your armor.

"No use," you said, turning to Uldren. "We need to find another batch of the vex."

"Such a bothersome mission," Uldren said, sounding equally vexed.

Time on Nessus had sped by. Days turned into weeks and weeks turned into a month. Within those thirty days, Uldren and you have grown closer. The bond you shared had strengthened, you felt attached to him. Whenever you had an episode—the darkness overtaking you—Uldren was there to snap you out of it, bringing you back to your senses. You wondered if this connection was one-sided. Perhaps Uldren felt the same? You pushed the idea away. 

"I'd say we wait over there." you motioned the barrel of your pistol towards some foliage. "The new batch of vex should be arriving shortly." You wanted to allow the enemies to spawn and drop their guards.

Uldren gave a curt nod.

You both headed over to the designated spot and crouched behind the red bushes. You slipped the gun into its holster, assuming it'll be a couple of minutes before the reinforcements arrive.

Once the vex reappeared, you and Uldren went back into action. Slaying the robotic entities with an array of attacks. You gathered a couple more conversion matrices from their remains and finished off the patrol. (G/n) took care of submitting the resources from the patrol. 

Only one Hobgoblin remained, but Uldren was taking care of it—well sort of.

You placed your gun in its holster, feeling beads of sweat roll down your forehead. Uldren wrestled with the last enemy and pushed it to the floor, landing atop it. A smile played on your lips as you watched him, you folded your arms over your chest letting out a soft chuckle.

Uldren shot a glance over his shoulder and did a double-take when he noticed you were watching him. "By all means," he said, breathing heavily. "Just stand there and watch."