xlii

FOREWORD | okay okay at this point i don't even have an excuse (well actually there are many reasons to why i haven't been able to write... but it doesn't really matter lol let's just say i've been dealing with a lot lately) i haven't updated since august! aaaa i'm so sorryyy. i hope you all have had a good Christmas and New years <3

CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

─── i know

THE TANGLED SHORE'S COOL air was soothing against your tear-stained cheeks

THE TANGLED SHORE'S COOL air was soothing against your tear-stained cheeks. Your face was overheating from the emotional stress and some fresh air was doing you good. You tugged on your hood, pulling it lower. In the heat of the moment, you had forgotten your helmet on the floor of Drifter's quarters. The battered Ghost shell hung in your grip, your fingers dug into it as Drifter's words echoed relentlessly in your mind.

Corrupt light-bearer.

Crazy.

Deranged.

You bit the inside of your cheek to stop yourself from crying. Did people believe you've gone off the deep end? You let out a puff of air from your nose, feeling pushed into a corner, unable to cower away.

Something hard nudged your back, you glanced over your shoulder to see (G/n) bobbing behind you. His blue orb flickered.

"Guardian... are you okay?" he asked, concerned.

You stifle a smile. "I'll be alright."

Ghost's shell sagged, seeming doubtful. "You know you can talk to me, right? I'm here for you."

"Thank you." You patted your companion's shell gently. "But I just need some time to process everything."

"If you say so."

Needing time to process everything was an understatement. You needed some sort of closure—something positive. However, right now, the negative outweighed the positive a hundred times over. You felt utterly lost.

You approached Spider's hidden lair and were granted entrance from the posted Eliskni. The hidden entrance was revealed as the rocky wall disappeared from view. You walked into the dimly lit corridor, hearing Spider's agitated voice in the distance.

The corridor opened into a larger space, Spider's bulky frame coming into view. He sat on his makeshift throne, overlooking a cowering Fallen. "You incompetent fool... get out of my sight."

Defeated, the Vandal turned away, slipping past you.

Your gaze followed the Fallen before snapping back to Spider.

"Look who's back." Spider leaned back in his throne, clasping his hands together eagerly. "My favorite... Guardian."

You nodded your head in greeting. "Spider."