v

CHAPTER FIVE 

─── bite the bullet

IT'S BEEN A COUPLE of days since Cayde's private funeral, and the day you went against the Vanguard's wishes

IT'S BEEN A COUPLE of days since Cayde's private funeral, and the day you went against the Vanguard's wishes. You spent most of your time hidden away in your apartment. Books from Ikoras library were scattered everywhere, you've been trying to gain intel on the Barons and Uldren. That proved to be feeble so you turned to Petra Venj. 

She hooked you up with a meeting, with the infamous Spider of the Tangled Shore. He handled illegal matters and sold information for a small asking price. 

So here you were, standing in the small space in the tangled shore. You kept your eyes on the Spider, listening to what he had to say. To put it simply, the so-called Scorn was being led by none other than Uldren Sov. The Barons were high-ranking Fallen, following closely to the title of leader, almost like a second in command but with six claiming the title. Every single one of them was frenzied, bloodthirsty puppets doing the prior prince's bidding.

The newly acquired information buzzed in your mind like a swarm of bees, almost giving you a migraine from the overload. You mentally created a list of the things he told you, considering your options to join him and seal the deal.

"Do we have a deal?" Spider leaned forward, pressing his many hands together eagerly.

Spider's tactics seemed reasonable, and who could argue it was a well-developed plan. 

Divide. Conquer. Isolate Uldren. He'll wind up at your feet. And all you have to do is... pull the trigger. That's what the non-hostile Fallen said. Track down and slay each Baron and the plan will fall into place.

You took a step forward, staring Spider dead in the eye, with an intense flame burning within. "You got yourself a deal," You said, not bothering to consult Petra Venj who was standing behind you.

Spider let out a booming, menacing laugh, his fingers entwined.

You had made a deal with the Spider of the Tangled Shore. It was time. Uldren and his Barons would fall.

A couple of weeks had passed since that deal and you sat in your apartment once again. It had been a recurring theme nowadays. The thought of creating a hideout somewhere in the European Dead Zone had become appealing. You didn't like passing so many guardians on your way to your apartment. Many people tried to interact with you, but you ignored them. You distanced yourself from everyone, including your friends. You didn't have time for that. 

Photos of all six Barons were pinned on your apartment wall, hanging as a reminder which you had yet to slay. As of now, only the Fanatic wasn't crossed out in red. All five were easy kills. You barely broke a sweat. Despite all the progress, you couldn't help feel antsy for Uldren to come out of hiding. Waiting was sheer torture, it was cruel.