xxxvi

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX 

─── path of darkness

THE AIR AROUND YOU stilled

Leaves belonging to the twisted trees rustled loudly as a current of air swept through the night; leaving you chilled. You drew in a deep breath in an attempt to calm the adrenaline coursing throughout your body.

Shaw Han's eyes flicked, expression hard. "Guardian."

You kept the blade at his throat, regardless of his identity. "Shouldn't you be helping the new lights instead of meddling in my affairs?"

"Your affairs..." he scoffed. "That's what you call this?"

You allowed the silence to draw out between you, earning an impatient response from Shaw. "For Traveler's sake! You're sheltering a fugitive!"

"I don't know what you're on about."

"Do you take me as a fool? Stop acting innocent when you've been playing house with a killer for months."

You made note of his use of words: for months. He's been watching you for all that time. There were no doubts he knew Uldren's identity. You hoped that wasn't the case. That you could've slyly slipped from this situation, claiming it as a misunderstanding. But that hope was snuffed out like a candle the instant those words left his lips: for months.

An overwhelming dread filled your being, you and Uldren were cornered.

"Why are you following us?" You asked, deciding there was no use in playing the innocent act. "Did someone send you?"

Shaw blatantly ignored your questions. "(Y/n) was it? The great Guardian who slew gods—the young wolf."

You narrowed your eyes.

"You've earned quite the reputation. Many honorable titles are attached to your name. Except... they forgot some." Shaw's eyes were dark with hatred. "A liar, coward, and a bastard who's tarnishing Cayde's name!"

Your grip tightened around the blade; hand trembling with rage.

Shaw Han went on. "You betrayed the Vanguard by sheltering Uldren Sov. He killed Cayde and now you're dining with him? How did you go from avenging Cayde to betraying him?" He nodded towards Uldren. "Cayde would have never done this to yo—"

You pressed the knife into his flesh, drawing blood.

"You know nothing." You said through clenched teeth.

Shaw Han stretched his neck, pain evident in his features. "I know more than enough to see Cayde's death meant nothing to you."

Your breath hitched, words stuck in your throat. The loss of words wasn't in result of fear but a seething rage that brewed within you.