viii

CHAPTER EIGHT 

─── mara sov

YOU SHOT A QUICK glance at the Fanatics corpse before you heard static in the comms

YOU SHOT A QUICK glance at the Fanatics corpse before you heard static in the comms. Someone had entered the channel you were on. You stiffened, waiting to hear their voice, whoever it was. 

"(Y/n), are you there?" You recognized the voice as Petra's. You relaxed. For a split second, you thought it was Zavala or Ikora. Good thing it wasn't, you weren't in the mood to be scolded by the higher-ups. 

"Yes, I'm here," You said back, holstering your gun.

"Where have you been?"

You hadn't told Petra anything about your side-quest to kill Uldren in the EDZ—obviously, that failed miserably—and you weren't planning on telling her. Especially not the fact you were caught. "I just killed the Fanatic."

"You did? Where?" Petra left no room for a reply as she spoke again."On second thought, we have time later to catch up. Now we need to get Uldren. I know where he's headed."

Petra Venj brought you to the watchtower in the Dreaming City, a sacred place amongst awokens. You looked around, taking in the towering structures. It would've been an honor if it weren't for the heavyweight on your shoulders. Anxiety rippled off you like waves, and bitterness and anger followed close behind. All the emotions felt constricting. You just wanted to do the deed. Get revenge—no, no justice—for Cayde. 

"Guardian. No one has stood where you are since the Queen closed these doors," Petra told you. "Welcome home... cousin."

The Queen, Mara Sov. Everything had gone downhill since she had allegedly was killed. Even Uldren, he and his sister had been close. Maybe that's why he's gone berserk. Though, that's not an excuse for his actions. Nothing would justify killing an innocent human. 

You looked around as you walked through the watchtower halls, taking it all in. Despite your current situation, it doesn't change the fact that the Dreaming City really was something else. Starting from the crystal flooring to the pillars to the flowers. You were awestruck. You kept on walking around, moving from one corridor to the next. You felt no closer to your destination even though it felt like you've been walking for ages. 

Something black had caught your eye as you passed the hallway. You backed up, staring down at the long corridor which had black blotches here and there. It looked like something from the Taken. You approached the wall which had the dark matter on it, examining the starry-looking substance. Was it a portal?

"Be careful. It's created by the Taken," You Ghost said, causing you to take a step back. 

You paused, feeling an urge to take a step inside. Black matter covered the ground around it, looking like it was pooling over.