xiv

CHAPTER FOURTEEN 

─── suspicion

THE MORNING LIGHT FILTERED into your room, waking you up with the sun's warmth

THE MORNING LIGHT FILTERED into your room, waking you up with the sun's warmth. You stretched, sitting up in your bed. You were surprised to see you managed to sleep a full night. You glanced at the clock which shone 9 am, you had slept in. Usually, you got to work straight away at six o'clock sharp, but not today. You swung your legs over your bed and a realization hit you. 

Uldren was here. You glowered at the harsh reality. You forgot all about him and you still hadn't figured out what to do when you left for missions. 

You got up and headed to the washroom to freshen up. Uldren was still on the couch, with the grey blanket draped over him. His raven hair was ruffled, and his eyes closed. Your gaze softened. He was sleeping long. You wondered if he had gotten any rest in the last few months, you know you haven't. Uldren stirred a little making your heart skip a beat, you thought he was about to wake up. To avoid that actually happening, you hurried to the washroom and shut the door. 

You put your hands on your cheeks feeling the heat radiating from them. What's wrong with you? You concluded it was something to do with oversleeping. You splashed your face with cold water, reveling in the feeling. You dried off and did a few other things before finishing off in the washroom. 

When you opened the door, Uldren was standing there. His eyes were unintentionally narrowed from just only waking up and he was running a hand through his raven hair, smoothing down the misplaced hairs. You felt a little flustered, you weren't expecting him to be standing directly there. 

"What are you doing?" You asked, blurting out the first thing that came to mind. 

"Good morning to you too," Uldren grumbled, his voice was deeper than usual. 

You glared at him, walking past without a word. You took the papers from the small table and brought them to your bed, sitting crossed-legged. All your latest bounties and missions were laid out on the white comforter. Your gaze swept across them, you contemplated what to do today. There were strikes, patrols, and some missions. Like most days, you decided on doing some Gambit. 

"Are you leaving?" Uldren asked. He was leaning his shoulder against the half wall, his hands in the pockets of his cargo pants.

You lifted your head at the sound of his voice. You hadn't realized Uldren was standing there until now. Shuffling your papers into a neat pile, you nodded. "I'll be gone for a while, so that means you gotta stay put." 

"I'm afraid I don't have any other choice." 

"Looks like it." You got off the bed, holding the pile. "If I ever find out you left the apartment at any time, I will kick you out and we'll both pay the price of your reckless behavior." You flashed him a sneer.