xli

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

─── i loved you

ALL ATTEMPTS TO BREAK free were futile, Drifter had the upper hand

ALL ATTEMPTS TO BREAK free were futile, Drifter had the upper hand. There was no easy way of getting around this. The only viable option would be to use the Darkness. It would make an easy escape—you shut down the thought, mentally scolding yourself for even considering it. You refused to endanger (G/n) again.

After refusing to speak a word and letting the silence drag out, Drifter made true to his words. He pressed the blade to your neck, drawing blood. You winced as it cut through your flesh, your entire body going rigid.

"I asked you a question." Drifter's voice was threateningly low.

Your helmet and hood acted as cover but you couldn't cower underneath it forever. He's bound to find out your identity sooner or later.

Swallowing, you spoke. "It's been a hot minute... Drift."

Drifter's eyes flashed and he yanked your helmet off in disbelief. The helmet fell onto the metal floor, the noise echoing across the container.

Your (h/c) hair fell to your shoulders, pooling onto the desk beneath you. A couple of strands were stuck to the wound on your neck, sticking to the fresh blood. You slowly raised your eyes to meet his gaze, mere inches away from his face. He smelt strongly of musk and pine. Drifter was still holding you down, your back pressed to the desk.

A thick silence hung over the room.

You drew in a shaky breath, afraid the sound of your breathing would be enough to shatter the stillness. A rush of (G/n)'s healing energy pooled into your body, regenerating your flesh. The wound on your neck closed, leaving only the bloody stain.

"(Y/n)?" Drifter's whisper was barely audible. He loosened his hold on you, releasing the knife.

His brown eyes flashed with emotion... was that hurt?

For someone snitching to the Vanguard, that should be the last thing he was feeling. He's the one who ratted you out, sending you spiraling into the Darkness. You almost killed Shaw, for Traveler's sake!

Various emotions hit you all at once, barely giving you room to process the events unfolding before you. You were angry. Bitter. Conflicted. The last time you had seen the Drifter you threatened his life and almost killed him. If it weren't for Uldren you probably would've drained his Light.

Drifter searched your gaze. "What are you doing here, sister?"

You pressed your lips together. You didn't owe him any explanation.

"Did your little Prince leave you in the dust?" He pressed. The flash of vulnerability had vanished and his expression hardened once again.

You resisted the urge to throw out a retort, defending Uldren's loyalties and mentioning Drifter's lack thereof. "No he didn't," you said simply.